You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can someone go through an ILS landing with me?

Evan Olivas 1455734

Evan Olivas 1455734
Posted
Posted

Tried to learn with Youtube, but haven't been able to land with ILS yet after 10 plus attempts. I would really appreciate it!

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Are you trying to follow the ILS to land maually, or perform an auto-land with the ILS? Navigating via the ILS is relatively straightforward, however if you're trying to let the airplane land itself it requires a more complex aircraft and sometimes special procedures depending on the aircraft you're using.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Which aircraft are you trying it with ? If its say a 737, is it PMDG or default/freeware?

Basically you need to understand how the particular aircraft you are using captures the ILS. For example the PMDG 737 requires you to tune the ILS frequency (both for autoland). The FS labs A320, just requires that the runway is programmed into the FMGC.

Once above is understood, you generally approach the runway heading at an intercept angle of about 30 degrees. Speed is also important, many new pilots approach way too fast....shoot for 190 knots in a jet. Altitude of about 3000ft and far enough out (10miles) that you are below the glideslope.

Arm LOC to capture the inbound course and once captures press APP mode to follow the ILS vertical path to the runway. Start reducing speed to 160 knots (aircraft dependent) once you start down and at 2500 feet above the threshold lower the gear. Continue to lower the speed at 4 or 5 DME from the runway to the approach speed plus 5 knots. There is some wind correction required but this is probably good enough to get going.

Autoland likely requires you to press a second autopilot, otherwise disconnect the A/P when stable (say at 200 feet) and manually land.

hopefull this helps but please post where the issues are and details of the aircraft.

847924.png

Evan Olivas 1455734
Posted
Posted

B738. I know the procedure, but I just do't know when to switch fromGPS to NAV, when the morse code beeps from the runway frequency????

Evan Olivas 1455734
Posted
Posted
Which aircraft are you trying it with ? If its say a 737, is it PMDG or default/freeware?

Basically you need to understand how the particular aircraft you are using captures the ILS. For example the PMDG 737 requires you to tune the ILS frequency (both for autoland). The FS labs A320, just requires that the runway is programmed into the FMGC.

Once above is understood, you generally approach the runway heading at an intercept angle of about 30 degrees. Speed is also important, many new pilots approach way too fast....shoot for 190 knots in a jet. Altitude of about 3000ft and far enough out (10miles) that you are below the glideslope.

Arm LOC to capture the inbound course and once captures press APP mode to follow the ILS vertical path to the runway. Start reducing speed to 160 knots (aircraft dependent) once you start down and at 2500 feet above the threshold lower the gear. Continue to lower the speed at 4 or 5 DME from the runway to the approach speed plus 5 knots. There is some wind correction required but this is probably good enough to get going.

Autoland likely requires you to press a second autopilot, otherwise disconnect the A/P when stable (say at 200 feet) and manually land.

hopefull this helps but please post where the issues are and details of the aircraft.

B738. I know the procedure, but I just do't know when to switch fromGPS to NAV, when the morse code beeps from the runway frequency????

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Again it's important to know what model of B738 you're referring to. If it's a default-type model, or a payware which models the systems more accurately.

Presumably based on your questions of "from GPS to NAV" it's a default aircraft system. In that case, you would want to switch to HDG hold once you're pointed toward the intercept point (usually as Mark said it 2000ish AGL and 10 miles, but check the charts for your particular airport). You would then verify that you're receiving the correct station on your NAV1 radio (via the Morse code IDent or the displayed alphanumeric code if you have such equipment). If you are, you can change to NAV/LOC mode(s). Confirm you're below the glidepath, and arm APP for vertical [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

It's a similar procedure for most realistically modeled B738's, however it can vary some depending on how they are configured, and again whether you are attempted to perform and autoland or just want guidance to a stable position to complete the approach.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Evan Olivas 1455734
Posted
Posted

Again it's important to know what model of B738 you're referring to. If it's a default-type model, or a payware which models the systems more accurately.

Presumably based on your questions of "from GPS to NAV" it's a default aircraft system. In that case, you would want to switch to HDG hold once you're pointed toward the intercept point (usually as Mark said it 2000ish AGL and 10 miles, but check the charts for your particular airport). You would then verify that you're receiving the correct station on your NAV1 radio (via the Morse code IDent or the displayed alphanumeric code if you have such equipment). If you are, you can change to NAV/LOC mode(s). Confirm you're below the glidepath, and arm APP for vertical [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

It's a similar procedure for most realistically modeled B738's, however it can vary some depending on how they are configured, and again whether you are attempted to perform and autoland or just want guidance to a stable position to complete the approach.

This helped a lot, going in fo ranother try. thanks!!

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Disconnect Autopilot. Fly a 20-30 degree intercept angle at or above the charted altitude, or as vectored. Begin turn to final when needles begin to align, maintain needle alignment horizontally and vertically in the center of the PFD. Establish final approach speed. If the horizontal needle moves down, pitch down or reduce power. If it moves up, then pitch up or increase power. If it moves right, slightly bank or yaw right, if it goes to the left, then go left. Repeat inputs consistently until reaching the round-out and flare. Pretend you are the pilot and not the aircraft's computer.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Come on, Nick. We all know that people don't actually fly planes anymore -- they just give them suggestions.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png