You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

communicating with atc

Norman Casserley 1103456

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble talking with atc.

For some reason I can hear atc talking to me but atc cannot hear me.

When I press the Ctrl key instead of being able to speak, the "inn atc" window comes up!

Something is amiss because I have previously been able to use the Ctrl key. I would appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers,

Norm.

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas,

Sorry, I am in FSX with pilot client fsinn

Hope this is all you need.

Cheers,

Norm.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Norm,

wow, someone still using FsInn! Nice! Has it ever worked correctly before for you? Or did it just stop working?

If it never worked, there are two other choices of clients for you: one is vpilot and the other one is swift (still in beta).

You may want to give them a try anyway.

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Norman,

Try selecting a different Push-to-Talk key (PTT) to see if it helps:

In the PC's system tray, click the icon which looks like Traffic Lights to open the FSFDT Control Panel.

6uOxgV.jpg

Change the PTT key selection ...

Click the 'Set' button, then use the keyboard to select a key (which is not already used by FSX).

CEVJMt.jpg

Edited by Guest

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

I always use FSInn!!

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

FSInn was a great client when it came out and I used it a lot. However, it is showing its age and vPilot (and soon swift) is now the client of choice for FSX. In preparation for the launch of Audio for VATSIM, the Board of Governors recently voted unanimously to remove FSInn, together with a few other unsupported clients, from the approved clients list. RIP

(https://blog.vatsim.net/public-beta-1-complete)

Tomas Hansson

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

The board of governers must be biased then

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for your input advice fellers.

I have used FSINN for many years and it has been good to me.However I checked the control panel traffic lights and I did have the right ctrl key in there.I have changed it to the "space" key and I will try it.

If I do download VPILOT will I still be able to chat with others using FSINN?

At present time I can chat with friends in FSX and FS9

Cheers

Norman

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Cheers Norman.There must be many others doing the same.Art

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Whatever client you use to connect to the network you will still see and be able to communicate with anybody else connected, regardless of which simulator or pilot client they are using.

Slightly odd choice of wording?

The problem with clients like FSINN and Squawkbox is that they are no longer being developed. This means that it is impossible for them to continue to be supported clients because... they aren't. There are features and functionality that will need to be added to the core network to keep things moving forward: for example, things like new voice, more frequent position updates etc. All of these developments require software changes to the clients which are clearly not going to happen with FSINN, SB and the other clients which have been removed from the supported list. They will work for now, and there are some things which you will be able to work around (e.g. a standalone client for new voice) but sooner or later I imagine there will be some form of core network change which breaks those legacy clients for good. This is why they have been removed from the supported list -- it is simply a reflection of the reality.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yes. Biased against software whose developers have vanished into thin air and/or choose no longer to update their apps.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Not at all, Arthur. But FSInn development ceased nearly 15 years ago, so there is no one to try to update the code to the new infrastructure required for the new Audio for VATSIM.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
Many thanks for your input advice fellers.

If I do download VPILOT will I still be able to chat with others using FSINN? At present time I can chat with friends in FSX and FS9.

Cheers

Norman

Absolutely, Norman. All of our supported clients allow you to interact with others, including pilots, ATC, etc., regardless of the client being used.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

So, Can this new client do all the operations that FSinn can do other than comm's

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Arthur,

can you be a bit more specific?

- you can open text-chat conversations with other users

- you have a radar display to see other planes in your vicinity

- you have a list of active ATC in your area

- you have a list of booked ATC stations, taken from VATBOOK

- you have a comprehensive flightplan menu

- you have a great model matching programming. at first it may appear complex, but once you have used it twice, you'll be familiar with it

This list is not complete.

Why don't you just install swift and find out for yourself? I have been using swift since last year and am more than happy with it.

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate your prompt replies.

I installed Vpilot and spoke to ATC Perth straight away!!!

I just have to get used to the program now.The one thing I missed that fsinn had was the radar. Does vpilot have a radar?

Cheers,

Norm.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Norm,

I am very happy that it worked out! vpilot does not come with a radar, so you'll have to rely on your aircraft's TCAS. The swift-client features a radar display, similar to the one from FsInn:

I recently performed a live stream with swift and also showed the radar:

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Thank's Andreas,I did a flight with vpilot Nice window.I had an ongoing problem where I get a 10 min freeze and i have learned to leave it until it starts up again.I noticed that vpilot disconnected me and informed me in text.whereas fsinn does not. It seems I get cheated out of my flight time enroute depending where I get a freeze.

However, I am now going to give "swift-client" a go. Nothing to lose eh?

Cheers,

Norm.

ps: I am going to look at your utube now.