You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Couple of Questions From New User Plz

phil symonds 1210804

phil symonds 1210804
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

Any way to have VATSIM online traffic appear on any moving maps or charts etc when on the ground?

Any way to display the label of my own aircraft on XSB?

I dont see a command to bring up the text box - is there one?

When text box does appear, its right in the middle of the screen and I don't see how to move it. Got a resize option but it wont drag or move:-(

Thanks

phil symonds 1210804
Posted
Posted

I'm having real problems with this software..... It's driving me nuts:-(

TRYING to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a button on my yoke for push to talk, but the entry box doesn't flash when I click on '[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign' (as it does for key entry). It simply wont accept ANY button from ANY controller!

Any ideas guys?

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

Hello!

Welcome back, just did a little stalking and I hope we can help you get online;

There are a few sites that take data from vatsim to display on moving maps

Here is one called Vattastic

If you ever want to find your aircraft again in xplane11 after going into freecam mode just hit any command for an external view and it'll bring you right back. I'm not sure why you would want a label of your own aircraft other than for finding it

You are bringing up the correct text box by the sounds of it.

If you simply type it'll transmit your text message to the frequency you're on

to private message you add a .msg then the name of the person

Do this:

.msg LON_CTR Hello this is a private message to a controller
.msg Daniel Morris Hi this is another private message pilot to pilot
.wallop This is a message to any supervisors online in case you need [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance with a troll or otherwise 

I've heard of an app called joker to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist with getting controllers to play ball with key [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments, not sure how it works myself though.

I hope this helps,

I would advocate swift (see here, vatsim approved) though because after it's set up it's way easier to use, contains; a dedicated text window, a big traffic radar to substitute a moving map amongst other things.

Cheers

phil symonds 1210804
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for the detailed reply - much appreciated. There's an almost overwhelming amount of info to absorb for a brand new VATSIM user lol. I'm spending hours just sitting at airports and listening. Good way to learn.

I found why I couldn't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a controller button for push-to-talk... One of my other controllers (Saitek Throttle) was sending continuous 'noise' from a defective button (now isolated).

I'm already using Vattastic and Vatspy, but they don't appear to provide what I was looking for. Using moving maps, I'm very used to being able to zoom right into the airport and see AI traffic on gates and stands etc. I'd very much like that option with VATSIM online traffic, but haven't yet seen a way to do this.

I haven't (yet) been able to get Swift working, but will percevere

Thanks again