You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Quick Question for Chris - Proxy code..

Stephen Coleman

Stephen Coleman
Posted
Posted

Hi Chris,

First off.. let me say that I am a huge fan of your work. I, like several other people, network several computers running Xplane together to make a multi-monitor external visual setup. Your proxy system works perfectly when flying VATSIM. I have a small dream that we could get World Traffic 3 to do that same. I am not the developer of that, of course, but I did speak to him and he said he would be willing to look at implementing something similar to your Proxy, if he had any idea how to do it.

Is there any type of open-code around to perhaps let me help him do this? Would you be willing to share some advice about how to do this? I imagine that it will be almost identical code to make that work..

For that matter, another thing that would be amazing would be to get "Better Pushback" on board also.

I certainly know that your worked hard making it work for Xsqawkbox.. (and THANK YOU again!!) but I was just wondering if you could help us out getting in the right direction. It would be a MAJOR advancement for many home cockpit builders. Thanks so much.. My email is bigcatcoleman (at yahoo.com) in case you have a moment to email.. Stephen

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
... I, like several other people, network several computers running Xplane together to make a multi-monitor external visual setup. Your proxy system works perfectly when flying VATSIM. ...

Is there any type of open-code around to perhaps let me help him do this? Would you be willing to share some advice about how to do this? I imagine that it will be almost identical code to make that work..

Unfortunately, the proxy for multisystem comes entirely from the common VATSIM library that XSB was built on top of and is entirely specific to how FSD clients work in general - it's not going to help WorldTraffic. In essence, we're just running the entire XSB client, interpolator and all, on every system, with copies of the datastream from the server. The slave clients can't talk to the server at all, but as the master will query everything that they're interested in, it generally doesn't matter.

My personal advice would be to either make the interpretation sufficiently deterministic that it can be run independently on every visuals system concurrently, with identical results, that way you do not need to make the visuals nodes talk directly to each other. Failing that, you need to implement a server arrangement inside the plugin to distribute the traffic information and any information required to keep all of the slaves consistent.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.