You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

About new VATSIM codec

Andrea Mazzoni

Andrea Mazzoni
Posted
Posted

Hello to everyone, first of all, I would say that I was litteraly surprised from the high number of feedbacks regarding my post on VATSIM FB group, visible here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vatsim/permalink/10161953617970602/

This event was for me, much better than any CTP edition where I had the opportunity to fly (unluckly, my couuntry hasn't won any CTP edition). Except Atlanta Tower, that was affected from connections problems due to his personal low quality internet signal, my flight as FDX3004 was AMAZING. I flew from Orlando, and those elements that has given me an excellent opinion, was this.

1-Blocking VHF radio due to simultaneous transmission.

Probably it was necessary an hard job for this from developers, but is nice hear this effect on radio. In real life, a double transmission create an electromagnetic intenference. The possibility to listen on VATSIM this is certanely something that any user will appreciate in the future. Much better than hear 2 voice at same time.

2-VHF effects

In real life, the quality of communications aren't always excellent. This depends from several factors: the distance between who transmit and who receive, if are present in the area electromagnetic phenomena (such can happen with Thunderstorms) and many other elements. Actual VATSIM codec, based on MELP, is good only if used for HF frequencies, because those frequencies are more easily affected from electomagnetich phenomena (try to search Shanwick or Gander radio recordings with Youtube, the audio have a worse quality than any VHF transmission), but for a VHF frequency, is more appropriate the new codec.

3-Understanding the message.

It was very easy listen, and understand what it was requested from ATC's involved. I think that a lot of user haven't an excellent PC and/or a microphone, and sometimes, when I make ATC service as Milano Radar, it very hard for me communicate with some traffics, because the actual codec lose too many data during the process for the codification of my audio transmission into informatic signals and viceversa for any transmission that I receive on radio. If I remember, the new Audio For Vatsim is based on Opus codec, the same of Discord. Sure, can always happen a problem and that it's necessary repeat a communication, but not every time

4-Installation

About here, as a user that currently use more Xplane 10 than Prepar3D v3, and this because Xplane10 sceneries are more easy to install and maintain installed due to their size (more little than P3D sceneries for me), for me it wasn't a problem install the secondary application developed for the use of AFV with clients such Xsquawkbox (which I use) and Swift.

I hope anyway, that will be implemented as soon as possible the AFV inside those clients. About Euroscope, seems that a version with new audio was developed, but not sure about this (I never tried the new codec as ATC)

If someone would share here his/her point of view, will be a pleasure for me read the opinions of other users. Seems also that more news will be released from VATSIM very soon.....hoping will be good news

Sometimes things get complicated. ATC on VATSIM as Milano Radar (LIMM_N_CTR) Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/italianalien21

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

So from my perspective:

I really enjoyed the new quality of the codec, I was chatting with a friend on discord while on the same frequency as him, the speed of the transmission is quicker than a discord voice conversation (by about half a syllable/one syllable) so stepping on other transmissions was a minimum. Most importantly for me was actually the clarity of the Radio Transmissions (RT)

Installation for beta users was easy if you just follow the guide.

Had a hiccup on a certain occasion that might be worth bringing up:

Using Xplane 11, ZIBO737 and SmartCopilot my friend and I tried to multicrew the flight but strange behavior occurred where neither of us could transmit any RT while we were sharing the cockpit.

Further testing on my part is required for more data on this to clearly outline the hiccup.

As somebody who would often criticize the progress of the voice codec I can happily say decent progress has finally been made and I'm dishing out a well deserved pat on the back to all involved from programmers to earlier testers.

Well done, can't wait for deployment!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Were you the two GTI flights that departed RDU?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted
Were you the two GTI flights that departed RDU?

Affirm, GTI208 for me (sorry we were so late! I hope we made you smile anyway ) if you're one of the controllers I thank you for your patience

able to shed any light on what was happening your end during the radio check? we didn't hear it TX when either of us keyed up when we were sharing the cockpit in smartCopilot - possibly to do with the way swift interacts with vatsim when you select observer? or it could be something else, more testing is required.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was RDU Tower. Honestly I can't recall whether it was you calling me that didn't work, or me calling you. I know we PMd a bit trying to troubleshoot. I had a couple issues throughout the day where the voice client stopped working without warning where I had to shut it off & re-start it, so, I may have been under the mistaken impression it was on my end.

Edited by Guest

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

we heard your reply as more Packet Loss-y (PLoss) at times, almost sure that it was our transmitting that was the issue for us. No open mic squelch was heard by the other pilot when either of us in the cockpit keyed up.

I refer to PLoss type symptoms from experience with TS3, some packets are not completely transmitted forcing the message to come accross as t hough it is missing words

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I know when Gary and Mark see this thread they'll be chuffed -- I know the fact that people enjoyed the experience with the codec (voice system, really!) so much over the weekend really meant a lot to everyone involved in the project.

Daniel - re: shared cockpit, I tried this out in the week before the FSExpo test, although with P3D and vPilot, and it worked exactly as expected with both parties being able to transmit voice. So I don't think there's anything inherent to AFV that stopped it working for you -- but it could be something Swift or X-Plane related perhaps? Certainly something to look at.

we heard your reply as more Packet Loss-y (PLoss) at times

Just to say - the packet loss/stuttering experienced by some at the weekend should be gone next time you try it... Mark found a small issue (though we were very impressed that it worked as well as it did at the weekend considering ).

Vice President, Pilot Training

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

Super! Well I look forward to the next test or failing that - release. Thanks for the info re: Shared cockpit.

In the meantime, if anybody (potential user or Developer) has any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer anything I can regarding my experience.

David Collyer 1352913
Posted
Posted
Daniel - re: shared cockpit, I tried this out in the week before the FSExpo test, although with P3D and vPilot, and it worked exactly as expected with both parties being able to transmit voice. So I don't think there's anything inherent to AFV that stopped it working for you -- but it could be something Swift or X-Plane related perhaps? Certainly something to look at.

we heard your reply as more Packet Loss-y (PLoss) at times

Just to say - the packet loss/stuttering experienced by some at the weekend should be gone next time you try it... Mark found a small issue (though we were very impressed that it worked as well as it did at the weekend considering ).

I'm the other guy, Daniel was connected as normal using swift. I connected using smartcopilot and then connected as GTI208A (couldn't not have a callsign, later GTI539) and Observer (co-pilot) mode. On connecting with the standalone program it gave me a different and more complex UI than Daniel had. I'm guessing that it wasn't setup to recognise anything other than ATC or Pilot, so as it didn't encounter Pilot mode it defaulted to ATC/Debug UI (which is what it looked like to me). I doubt that problem will be in the full rollout as it's only standalone while it's easier to push the builds out. As for the comms issue Daniel had before we got ourselves sorted out, I think he was always connected ok, only my connection to the server (and thus voice connection to the server) was broken, so all test transmissions between us weren't getting through to each other. I can't see any reason why smartcopilot would have anything to do with how the new AFV works.

Had good fun, despite flying at 8fps. Had it been busy around us, I wouldn't have flown as XP drags the simrate down in low fps scenarios. That's why we were trying to fly shared cockpit!

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Are the CODEC developers planning to release some information on how the wide beta test went and where we are in the process?

I flew MCO to MSY and found the experience excellent. A few issues with how loud or soft some pilots/controllers were in the headset which I suspect is related to their own mic setup.....I notice with the beta of vPilot there was no walkthrough of the mic levels to set it up so maybe that was the issue.

847924.png

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

There was an

- From what i gather:

Generally they are pleased with how the test went, the server was not phased with the increased workload.

There was a problem that was thought to have been resolved, but now thanks to this testing has been resolved properly (not sure on specifics),

A system may be put in place to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist with mic levels.

The interview linked above is a little hard to hear at times but hopefully that might be the information you're looking for.

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

OK thanks.

847924.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
Are the CODEC developers planning to release some information on how the wide beta test went and where we are in the process?

I flew MCO to MSY and found the experience excellent. A few issues with how loud or soft some pilots/controllers were in the headset which I suspect is related to their own mic setup.....I notice with the beta of vPilot there was no walkthrough of the mic levels to set it up so maybe that was the issue.

We are also working on a blog post detailing the results on the test. We should have that out within the next couple of weeks.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Ken Pryor
Posted
Posted

I wasn't able to take part in the test, but I watched several live streams of others using the new codec. It sounded amazing. I am really excited to eventually get this on the network and want to give a big thank you to the developers for all the hard work.

• 5 weeks later...
Andrew Holmes 1326695
Posted
Posted

Any update on the blog post?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

The team is working hard on it. Just yesterday another update got rolled out for the current testers.

Me.

Andrew Holmes 1326695
Posted
Posted

Thank you Nestor. I really appreciate the time and effort being put in by everyone involved. I am sure many members are looking forward to an update on what has been accomplished so far and what remains to be done before implementation of Audio for VATSIM.

TONY ARGAUD 1460479
Posted
Posted
I am sure many members are looking forward to an update on what has been accomplished so far and what remains to be done before implementation of Audio for VATSIM.

Hello,

I am interested by these new codecs as I am a bit deaf.

Thanks to the devs and beta-testers for the hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
Klaus Schmitzer
Posted
Posted

Anything new? I have the feeling it was a bit silent since the flightsim expo...

Dont get me wrong, I just wait for the release because I dont want to fly voice with the actual system.

500x125 SpecsSig2020_OCT.png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

A new version was rolled out yesterday for the small testing group, during which an 'important' (affecting the whole AFV Client) issue was found (#BlameGary). It is already being debugged.

Team is aiming for a release before CTP.

Cheers,

Me.

Andrea Mazzoni
Posted
Posted
A new version was rolled out yesterday for the small testing group, during which an 'important' (affecting the whole AFV Client) issue was found (#BlameGary). It is already being debugged.

Team is aiming for a release before CTP.

Cheers,

Excellent, but with the new audio system, some old clients will be "terminated"?I use Xplane 10, with xsquawkbox, and in september, i will change from this to swift. I would know however, if it's necessary or not for some systems.

Happy holidays!

Sometimes things get complicated. ATC on VATSIM as Milano Radar (LIMM_N_CTR) Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/italianalien21

Danny Moore
Posted
Posted

Quick Question. When will the next batch of testers be selected for the audio codec? I was at FSExpo and the reps from VATSIM took down our information so we could be part of the next beta release. It seem like it was for nothing as no one that I have talked to that was at Expo has heard anything from Vatsim.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

That is because there have been no large tests since

Me.