You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC via headset, other sounds via speakers

Stefan Hoks

Stefan Hoks
Posted
Posted

Hey!

I'm planning to buy a tiny headset to use for ATC comms when flying on Vatsim. Just a tiny question: is it possible (when both a set of speakers and a headset are plugged into my pc via a 3mm Jackplug) to let the audio from ATC (XSquawkbox) come out of my headset, and to let other sounds come out of my speakers? Currently all the sounds, including ATC, come from my speakers which sometimes makes it hard to understand ATC. F.e. when the background noise level is high. I don't have a separate soundcard built into my computer.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Stefan,

someone may correct me, but this will only be possible if you have two separate sound-cards. The best solution will therefore be to purchase a USB-headset: the USB-device will act as a second, separate sound-card and you can tell any program (XSquawkbox or the new client "swift") to use your USB-headset for voice-in and voice-out.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Some sound cards allow separate audio streams to be split to analog 1/8-inch stereo speaker and headphone outputs, and some do not. For those that don't, an inexpensive USB headset that will show up as a separate device offers an easy solution.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png