You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Just a question about real pilots/ATC's on VATSIM

Andrea Mazzoni

Andrea Mazzoni
Posted
Posted

Hello VATSIM users, I have a question to staff members regardingany VATSIM rank for pilots and atc. I have a friend, which is a real pilot, that would join VATSIM. If he will join the network, does VATSIM apply a policy to recognize real licences for pilot and atc's and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign automatically a similar rating for his personal account? Thanks in advance, happy winds to everyone

Sometimes things get complicated. ATC on VATSIM as Milano Radar (LIMM_N_CTR) Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/italianalien21

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hello VATSIM users, I have a question to staff members regardingany VATSIM rank for pilots and atc. I have a friend, which is a real pilot, that would join VATSIM. If he will join the network, does VATSIM apply a policy to recognize real licences for pilot and atc's and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign automatically a similar rating for his personal account? Thanks in advance, happy winds to everyone

It used to be (and a LONG LONG time ago at that, possibly back to SATCO) that if a person joined the network and they were either a real world pilot or ATC, would automagically come in at the C1 rating. Whether that is true or not now I don't know, but may be something to look into, or even a quick email to the Membership team to see if they still accommodate for that.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

There is currently no allowance for that. However, it should be recognized that RW ratings should make it much easier to earn ratings here.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 3 weeks later...
Justin Cogo
Posted
Posted

I have heard of VA’s taking VATSIM sim flight hours and applying them towards your VA hour total. At the last VA I flew for they accepted most (about 75%) of my VATSIM hours. I wish they would transfer over real world hours into the VATSIM. This would allow some real world aviators to increase their VATSIM hours.

Private Pilot's License, A.A.S. Aviation Science

Former VATUSA I1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

We have quite a few real world pilots and controllers here holding a real world licence means that you are competent and it should be easy to quickly proceed through the ranks.

Justin Cogo
Posted
Posted

Yes. I wonder if VATSIM would implement this.

Private Pilot's License, A.A.S. Aviation Science

Former VATUSA I1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

So far it was not really thaaaaaaaat important, because our RW pilots and controllers do not take that much importance in the virtual ratings they hold. As an online pilot you do not need any rating to fly with us and as an ATCO their local and regional training organization may have a fast-track system to whizz them through the ranks: they still have to prove that they are competent. I am a real world ATPL, but by no means am I a brilliant vATCO! I got my rating in the old days, lucky me. These days I probably would not make it past S3 or C1, but that's sufficient! I am the first to admit that we have a lot of virtual ATCOs who are much more competent in this than I am.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

I think the other very important point to note is that as we actually see fairly regularly on these forums, real-world experience does not necessarily equate directly to VATSIM requirements etc.

The VATSIM world obviously aims to replicate real-world procedures, but there are quite a lot of processes, rules and conventions which are very different and which a real-world trained pilot or ATCO would have no particular knowledge of. Unicom, top-down coverage, transponder operating requirements, use of software, processes and conventions for how coordination is handled between VATSIM ATC units, the way weather works on the network, the CoC and so on are all unique.

Ergo: as Andreas says, holding a real-world qualification obviously gives one a good head start as far as the nuts and bolts of flying an aircraft/keeping the blips apart are concerned, but there's a lot of ancilliary network-specific stuff that is not covered in any real ATPL or ATCO course!

Vice President, Pilot Training

• 2 weeks later...
Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

The online environment is totally different to the real world envroment.

In my country, potential ATC's start their job in Enroute, and work there for about 5 years before being allowed to apply to work other positions like TWR or TCU, In vatsim, we start at TWR and work up to ENR via APP, so a qualified ENR controller in the real world, would need to be trained up on TWR and APP before having their real world qualifications reconised.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In Germany you, as a student, have to decide whether you'd like to be an enroute or a terminal controller. This is sort of non-reversible on non-compatible. For example, if you choose to become a controller at Frankfurt Approach, you'll never make it into "Rhein Radar" (upper area enroute control) and vice-versa. They really separate these categories.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
In Germany you, as a student, have to decide whether you'd like to be an enroute or a terminal controller. This is sort of non-reversible on non-compatible. For example, if you choose to become a controller at Frankfurt Approach, you'll never make it into "Rhein Radar" (upper area enroute control) and vice-versa. They really separate these categories.

Yet in the US at some locations, it's just a trip down the elevator.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Yet in the US at some locations, it's just a trip down the elevator.

BL.

Or up it...

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller