You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

can twr give ground clearance

Keith Reffell 1441678

Keith Reffell 1441678
Posted
Posted

I am new to vatsim and would like to know if tower can give ground clearance (when none is available) or whether i should just start my engines and check atis then contact tower for taxiways?

Thanks in advance

KCR

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Yes Vatsim is provides top down coverage in most areas. So if ground or delivery isn't online you would call the tower, then the correct approach/departure controller, then center.

If you're not sure who to contact send the controller a PM and ask.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Richard has already explained it. This method is called "top-down service". It can be found in the official VATSIM regulations, e.g. here: https://www.vatsim.net/docomeents/global-ratings-policy

4.1 Graduated controller ratings are essential within the VATSIM on-line environment since on-line ATC shall provide a "top-down" service and whenever traffic load permits cover for any missing control positions beneath them; this applies to all control positions from CTR down.
I have highlighted a very important part of the regulation: for example, a CTR-controller may tell you to "start and taxi runway xx own discretion", because the ATCO is too busy with other traffic that takes precedence. In the given example you would only call the ATCO again at the holding point of the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned runway and when ready for departure.

Keith Reffell 1441678
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your help . KCR

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Thanks for finishing that off Andreas, couldn't find the rest of my thought to save my life

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group