You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Randomly disconnecting from voice channel without noting it

Jan Fries

Jan Fries
Posted
Posted

Hello,

since I have this problem for some time now and it is really annoying, maybe someone here can help me.

I experience random disconnections of my voice channel in Euroscope (3.2a20 and 19), so noone hears me, I don't hear anyone and voice list doesn't update. When disabling the voice channel and enabling it again, it updates everything and works again.

I've tried so far:

- a lot of googling

- switching voice servers

- forwarding ports (3782 UDP, TCP, 3290-3293 UDP)

- updating Euroscope from 3.2a19 to 3.2a20

- entering a lot of whitelisting in antivir (avast) and windows firewall

It is totally random, so it can be that there is 10 minutes of silence on the frequency and it still works, it can be that I talk to someone and 30 seconds or less later the next one won't reach me. I can't find anything in any log file, so might there be a solution to this or is this a general problem with euroscope? Noone of other controllers that I spoke with can help me, some are experiencing this issue as well, some don't.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi Jan! Happened to me some time ago and I believe I found it to be a port forwarding issue.

In some cases (from what I saw, cases in which the user's ISP does some IPv4 <-> IPv6 tunneling), it is possible that the port used for your voice communications is none of the ones you mentioned. To find out which one you're using, replace your voice server into the following URL and open it in your browser. Then, search for your callsign to see which port

it is that you're on (and therefore, the one that should be forwarded).

For example, if I am connected to 'uk.voice.vatsim.net' voice server, the URL would be http://uk.voice.vatsim.net:18009/?opts=-R-D

Me.

Jan Fries
Posted
Posted
Hi Jan! Happened to me some time ago and I believe I found it to be a port forwarding issue.

In some cases (from what I saw, cases in which the user's ISP does some IPv4 <-> IPv6 tunneling), it is possible that the port used for your voice communications is none of the ones you mentioned. To find out which one you're using, replace your voice server into the following URL and open it in your browser. Then, search for your callsign to see which port

it is that you're on (and therefore, the one that should be forwarded).

For example, if I am connected to 'uk.voice.vatsim.net' voice server, the URL would be http://uk.voice.vatsim.net:18009/?opts=-R-D

Hi Nestor,

thank you for your response. I checked that and it uses Port 3292 for me. So it should forward correctly (at least port forwarding works for a lot of other programs and ports too, so I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that this is not an issue).

• 3 weeks later...
Jan Fries
Posted
Posted

Apparently I'm still alone?

Today I noticed that even the ATIS connection gets lost. So every connection is affected apparently. I looked into windows firewall settings (again), found nothing. Port forwarding is now set to ipv4 and ipv6, nothing changed.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Try opening up all ports (DMZ) and disable any firewall, antivirus, etc...

Give it a try then and let us know.

Me.

• 2 weeks later...
Jan Fries
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I deactivated all the things as you suggested, got kicked out literally 5 seconds after a transmission without noting it (well luckily another ATC noted it and he told me). This was about 40 minutes into a session with regular talking. Afterwards it worked for 2 hours or so until I logged off, even with longer silences.

I will reinstall Euroscope and wipe everything from Euroscope from my system and will try a completly new install. If that doesn't work either, well I don't know.

• 1 month later...
Jan Fries
Posted
Posted

So some time has p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed and I'm afraid the issue still is not gone and cannot be reproduced, annoyingly. I made a complete wipe of my Euroscope installation, even going through registry and cleaning everything out.

Some days ago I had the situation where I couldn't hear 2 of 13 or so pilots but apparently they could hear me. Everyone else could talk to me just fine.

Today I had a sweatbox session and I could hear everything but I couldn't be heard. Everything shows up as normal for me, so icon for transmitting is on.

It seems that when the whole connection drops out occasionally, I'm not even connected to a voice room. The whole connection seems to be broken then. Recently it affected both ATIS and frequency. TeamSpeak works just fine.

Is there any possibility to log literally everything Euroscope does? Session data doesn't show any anomaly.

I wondered if it would help to update the ts3client and ts3server dlls, but I am not able to find them online, apparently TeamSpeak doesn't give them out for free anymore? And I don't even know if this would break something else.

I am thinking about writing a plugin that will check the connection every second or so and reconnect if the connection is lost, but that can't be the holy grail.

Any more ideas?