You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Radio Direction Finder plugin now available

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted

As discussed in other thread in this forum, I have made a simple little Radio Direction Finder plugin for Euroscope. It helps you locating the active pilot on the frequency by drawing a circle around the tag while transmitting (click middle button to redraw when transmission has ended). If aircraft is outside the current screen area, a line will be drawn, in the direction of the aircraft.

Download and further instructions here: https://github.com/chembergj/RDF

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Vatsim Membership Manager - Americas

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Alex Amorianos
Posted
Posted

Does it work with the latest ES beta 3.2a(r20)?

Trying to load it and I receive "Failed to load plugin DLL".

Alex

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted
Does it work with the latest ES beta 3.2a(r20)?

Trying to load it and I receive "Failed to load plugin DLL".

I suppose so. Other users have solved a similar problem by installing this package, before loading the plugin:

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 that can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Worth a try

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Alex Amorianos
Posted
Posted

Thanks Claus. That did the trick.

I had only installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.

Great plugin!

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Hey Claus,

Great plugin, thank you for the contribution! You're doing me a favour as I was still regularly receiving emails about making the RDF part of my MUAC plugin independent

One thing you might consider is threading the function that calls the web server. In the current way you have your plugin implemented, you risk blocking the main Euroscope thread while you make your HTTP reuquest, which would essentially freeze Euroscope, especially since GetActivePilotCallsign gets called quite often when controlling a busy frequency. My code does this if you need inspiration but my implementation is definetly not perfect.

Good luck!

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted
Hey Claus,

Great plugin, thank you for the contribution! You're doing me a favour as I was still regularly receiving emails about making the RDF part of my MUAC plugin independent

One thing you might consider is threading the function that calls the web server. In the current way you have your plugin implemented, you risk blocking the main Euroscope thread while you make your HTTP reuquest, which would essentially freeze Euroscope, especially since GetActivePilotCallsign gets called quite often when controlling a busy frequency. My code does this if you need inspiration but my implementation is definetly not perfect.

Good luck!

Hello Pierre.

Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't think of that in the first place, but that is of course the right way to do it - newbie ES plugin developer here, so all help appreciated

Best regards

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

• 4 weeks later...
Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Hi Claus,

Are you planning to update the plugin in order for it to work with 'Audio for VATSIM'?

Cheers,

Martijn

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted
Hi Claus,

Are you planning to update the plugin in order for it to work with 'Audio for VATSIM'?

Cheers,

Martijn

Hi Martijn.

Yes, I am contact with two of the AFV developers and we have a plan for moving forward on this. If it will be ready before the new AFV hits the real servers, I cannot say at this early time, but at least we have a plan.

Regards,

Claus

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Wonderful! If you need any testers, please let me know.

Cheers, your biggest fan

• 4 weeks later...
Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Claus,

Any news? The standalone client is aware of the transmitting callsign, so I guess the plugin could do the same?

(As there is no longer a working voice-list in ES, a RDF is even more convenient than before)

Cheers,

Martijn

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted
Claus,

Any news? The standalone client is aware of the transmitting callsign, so I guess the plugin could do the same?

(As there is no longer a working voice-list in ES, a RDF is even more convenient than before)

Cheers,

Martijn

Unfortunately no. I suppose Gary Oliver has been extremely busy the recent weeks so didn't wanna bother him again. When things have settled I'll try to get in contact again so I can move forward with the plugin.

/Claus

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

No rush

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted

The RDF plugin has now been updated to work with AFV. It requires at least version 1.6.32 of the AFV Standalone Client.

More info and download here: https://github.com/chembergj/RDF/blob/master/README.md

Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Niels Voogd
Posted
Posted

Brilliant Claus! great to have the plugin back on AFV

Niels.