You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot ntdll.dll crash

Sterling Paulsen

Sterling Paulsen
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if anyone else had had this happen with vPilot:

Faulting application name: vPilot.exe, version: 2.2.3.0, time stamp: 0x5d07a096

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.475, time stamp: 0x1ddde673

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00041f15

Faulting process id: 0x2568

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5528cb54baba8

Faulting application path: C:\Users\[uSER]\AppData\Local\vPilot\vPilot.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 94ecf428-52aa-4a3a-95c1-a129431fc14b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

19.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Yes, though I don't recall the issue being discussed for for 3+ years...

By Don Desfosse 1035677 - 12 Jun 2016 16:41

Ah, the old ntdll.dll issue.

Were you using addon scenery when the crash occurred? The 14B/ntdll.dll issue is discussed a bit on the net, but no clear root cause has been identified/proven. Most common theories that I've seen for the ntdll.dll center around add-on scenery/terrain. A lot of discussion on the net is memory problems [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with scenery, and some discussion about video drivers (I've seen discussion about needing to update, and also discussion about needing to roll back; neither was very definitive).

Most frequent advice is to troubleshoot by reducing graphics sliders. A decent amount of folks have rebuilt their fsx.cfg files which has solved the issue for them. Of course, that kills all the tweaks that you've made over time, so make sure you back it up first so you can compare and slowly add in tweaks again if you want to. You may want to start out more slowly by just dialing back some of your graphics settings and see if that gets your system/installation more stable. Please do report back if you try things and they do/don't work -- we give out a lot of advice and don't often get a lot of feedback, and where this one really hasn't had a stake nailed through it yet, it would be good to collect more data.

By Don Desfosse 1035677 - 13 Jun 2016 00:36

The DLL has nothing to do with vPilot. Your sim is crashing, which then forces vPilot to crash. To solve the root cause of vPilot crashing, you need to stop your sim from crashing. The ntdll.dll error is a memory error most often [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with add-on scenery/terrain issues. Most common advice there is to start by reducing your traffic sliders, and if you're not having luck there, rebuild your .cfg file.

Have a look here for more discussion: http://www.avsim.com/topic/350230-ntdlldll-crashes

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Sterling Paulsen
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

Sorry if it was unclear; the sim was running perfectly fine (and continued to run perfectly fine); it was vPilot that crashed.

19.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Interesting. I'm afraid I've not seen that.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations