You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

RVSM: Odd/Even Flight Levels Europe vs US

Spencer Hoefer

Spencer Hoefer
Posted
Posted

I noticed that flights going Southwest over Europe (EGLL/London area to Spain/Portugal) fly at odd altitudes whereas a flight going in the same direction in the US would be at an even altitude (FL320, FL340, FL360, etc.) Are the RVSM rules different in the UK/Europe? It caught me off guard as I am not used to flying in Europe on Vatsim.

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Don't worry about that too much since flight rules vary from one country to another. However there is a gerenal rule which works pretty fine:

Even flightlevel (FL320/340/360 etc): Flying westbound or northbound

Odd flightlevel (FL310/330/350 etc.): Flying eastbound or southbound

When ATC is online, he/she will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the correct FL to you if necessary

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

If you wish to fly more realistic you can try to remember that France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland apply the NorthEVEN and SouthODD rule, in general. This is due to the fact that the main traffic flow in these countries occurs on a North-South axis. In Germany, certain airways also follow this rule on their course between the Swiss and Danish airspace borders. You can see that in enroute IFR charts.

Alexander Vasiliev 1227370
Posted
Posted

Like guys said above - its just France I believe.

The general rule of FL numbers according to west/east type of FL are the same to the whole world I think.

Its just we have several countries in Europe that uses south/north type of FL .... and France is one of them. So when you depart from the UK airspace its even-FL, level change to odd-FL entering France airspace .... stuff like that

Anders Moen
Posted
Posted

AIP Enroute part 3.1-3. Direction doesn't necessarily mean a thing

Posted
Posted
No, it's not "just France". Why do you think I wrote my previous post? I do this stuff for a living, I fly in these countries.

Who do you think I reply to you? And I didnt mean "only", I said "just" ... just relax man!

You already said about Spain, do I need to repeat it? May create extra attention to level change mr. "I do this for living"?

Shortly, I didnt say anything against you wrote, you misunderstand my message.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hello Alexander,

I do not intend to split hair, but you wrote

so you "believe". Do you "believe" or do you "know"? I had already listed the countries so this comes across as "no, it is different, I believe". Why do us real ATCOs and pilots even contribute here when it gets disputed all the time? It really is discouraging.

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted (edited)
If you wish to fly more realistic you can try to remember that France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland apply the NorthEVEN and SouthODD rule, in general. This is due to the fact that the main traffic flow in these countries occurs on a North-South axis. In Germany, certain airways also follow this rule on their course between the Swiss and Danish airspace borders. You can see that in enroute IFR charts.

For all interested people who don't believe what Andreas said. Please scroll a bit to the right to see the traffic flow in Europe

1xwjya.jpg

Edited by Guest

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Posted
Posted
Hello Alexander,

I do not intend to split hair, but you wrote

so you "believe". Do you "believe" or do you "know"? I had already listed the countries so this comes across as "no, it is different, I believe". Why do us real ATCOs and pilots even contribute here when it gets disputed all the time? It really is discouraging.

I think we both talk about the same and give the same information, but the manner we give information somehow fights against us. This way you probably thought I meant different and said against your post, and I probably thought you said something against my post ... Lets close this conversation. We both said the same but in different manner

• 2 weeks later...
Alasdair Whyborn 1341821
Posted
Posted
AIP Enroute part 3.1-3. Direction doesn't necessarily mean a thing

This...

ENR_3_... contains all the level requirements for every route.

If the local AIP is not publicly available, the eurocontrol EAD will have the relevant docomeents.