You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to reach cruise altitude in B738 in FSX?

Norman Casserley 1103456

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, In the last couple of days I have been unable to reach cruise altitude in Ifly B738.I was advised previously to cancel weather in fsinn control panel and change the FSX weather to "update every 15 minutes" It worked fine but now FSX weather has spat the dummy and doesn't change anything now.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Norm.

ps.computer info is Windows 7 home premium 64 bit SP1

AMD FX 8320 eight core processor 16gigs ram NVIDIA GE FORCE gtx-1050 Ti

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Hey Norman,

There might be many reasons to why you aren't able to reach the cruise altitude. The best thing would be a video where you show what you're doing, then we can be able to guide you!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

What cruise altitude are you trying to reach?

How much fuel have you got loaded?

How long (miles) is your flight?

What does the FMC say is the OPT and MAX Flight Levels available?

As Mats says, there's a number of factors which can affect it.

Trevor Hannant

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

FSInn weather had, I heard, a bug in which negative temperatures were rendered as positive ones -- so the higher you climb, the air (already getting less dense because of the altitude) would also be simulated as getting warmer, and even **more** less dense as a result.

I don't think FSX real weather updates have worked in many years. The location of the database they were pulling their information from changed, and, obviously, nobody is updating the program anymore.

So you might start by looking for a weather plug-in to run with it. Active Sky is arguably the best one, but, there are some half-decent freeware ones as well. That doesn't mean all of this is the root of your problem, but, it can only help your overall simming experience

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Next time you try to climb, check the TAT (Total Air Temperature) just above your engine instruments. This way you can verify whether FSX is simulating a too high temperature. If it's unrealistically hot, your engines won't produce sufficient thrust to climb.

For a real weather addon you may to give FSRealWX a shot. I am not sure whether it is still freeware or not, there used to FSRelaWXlite for free, but I cannot find a recent version of it. You may need to search the internet for the latest/last version of the "lite-edition". Maybe it will still work.

If you are prepared to spend a few dollars, ActiveSky is probably one of the best choices on the market.

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Thank's Mats,Trevor,Robert and Andreas,

Will try the helps and let you know.

Cheers,

Norm.

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Hi Norman,

The advice to "cancel weather in FSInn control panel" is correct.

Due to FSInn issues typically abv FL240, the temperatures are incorrectly too high for performance in higher flight levels.

If not already disabled ...

Inn Control Panel, click on SET to open Inn Settings.

DLNvM3.jpg

Disable Weather by default.

6NohIP.jpg

Normally the CAVOK button can be (red).

skDOkM.jpg

Instead, use an external weather engine; Rob and Andreas provided examples.

When the simulator has (colder/negative) upper level temperatures (from a weather add-on), the B738 performance won't suffer, and you'll be all set.

Hope this helps.

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

Thank' to you all and Mike.

I have downloaded FSrealWX and used it for a flight from Perth WA to Darwin NT Aussie.

Some stats that you guys asked for might be of interest.

1. cruise level 37000 ft.

distance 2647 km/ 1645 mls

fuel 26768 lbs

FMC Opt and Max flight levels 369 to 388

2. TAT climbing at 5000 ft = +24 deg

12000 ft = +05 deg

20000 ft = -03 deg

35000 ft = -18 deg

and made it to 37000 ft = -18 deg in approx 38 minutes. used 21351 lbs

That's all I can tell you as a average pilot. quite happy with the outcome. I hope to survive until the new swift is ready.

cheers for now

Norman

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Norman,

great details. 38 minutes to TOC sounds a bit excessive, normally 20 to 25 minutes should be the maximum to get you up there. Did you use VNAV and follow the FMC climb profile?

Norman Casserley 1103456
Posted
Posted

g'day Andreas,

Actually info was only 98% correct.I did actually reach cruise altitude in 26 minutes. sorry.

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Good to hear you’re sorted now - thanks for coming back to let us know!

Trevor Hannant