You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

NOTICE: VATSIM Oceania ATO closing down

Joshua Micallef

Joshua Micallef
Posted
Posted

The following NOTICE concerns members of the VATOCE Community currently working towards their P1 & P2 Ratings with the VATSIM Oceania ATO.

Good Morning All,

On Thursday the 29th August 2019, the VATSIM Oceania Senior Leadership Team called an extraordinary meeting to discuss a number of agenda items that where called to order at the last meeting. One of these was a discussion regarding the VATOCE ATO, and the continued operations from this point forward.

After a 20-minute discussion, where the Senior Leadership Team, and the directors for both VATPAC & VATNZ discussed the current situation surrounding the VATOCE ATO, with particular interest to the steady decline in numbers of pilots who are utilising the ATO to train for their P1 & P2 Ratings. The Regional Team came to a resolution regarding the ATO, this is:

• As of present, the level of commitment required to produce the P3, P4 & P5 ratings is unjust given the current activity of the ATO

• On the 15th September 2019 at 2359z – The VATOCE ATO will suspend all operations for the P1 & P2 Ratings.

• As of this notice, further enrolments and requests for exam access with the VATOCE P2 exam have been suspended, members who are currently working through the course have been notified and have until the closing date to complete their rating training.

• The P1 exam is still accessible to complete until the closing date.

• Once the ATO closes, students who have not completed their P2 Training and attained their rating will be required to outsource to another ATO for the completion of their rating.

The VATSIM Oceania Region will keep records of all content that the ATO has produced over the previous two years, and should the region see it feasible to reopen the ATO in the future, the current course material will be available.

If you have any questions about this, please email either;

• Joshua Micallef | VATOCE Chief Flying Instructor (j.micallef[at]vatoce.net)

• Alan Cooke | VATOCE Regional Director (a.cooke[at]vatsim.net)

Thanks everyone.

Joshua Micallef
C3 Senior Controller | I1 Instructor
VATPAC Director, Events| ATC Training Instructor
E:
[email protected]

3000+ Hours on the Network

Greg Barber
Posted
Posted
with particular interest to the steady decline in numbers of pilots who are utilising the ATO to train for their P1 & P2 Ratings

The Q2 VATOCE ATO report reported that there was a 91% increase in pilot ratings given compared to Q1. How is this a steady decline?

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

• Board of Governors
Alan Cooke
Posted
Posted
with particular interest to the steady decline in numbers of pilots who are utilising the ATO to train for their P1 & P2 Ratings

The Q2 VATOCE ATO report reported that there was a 91% increase in pilot ratings given compared to Q1. How is this a steady decline?

Hi Greg, there was indeed a 91% increase in P1 ratings. The ATO has very little to do with P1 as it is only a theory exam. The same rating can be gained at the VATSIM academy by doing a theory exam only. The real work for the ATO was training members for their P2 as this required lessons and a check flight exam.

Putting the numbers into perspective the P2 increased by 50%. That doesn't sound too bad until you look at the actual figures. It increased from 2 to 3 pilots. In Q4 2018 there were 10 pilots who took the P2 course and exam, so this is where the decline has come.

The current CFI as I am sure you know has resigned and while I was on a LOA due to ill health my deputy ran a recruitment process to replace him. There was very little interest shown in this and a minimal amount of applications.

The extraordinary meeting was called to discuss the future of the ATO. It was very well attended by the full regional team plus the 2 Divisional Directors and they discussed all possible solutions, to which I listened to everyone giving their thoughts. I will disclose that the decision to close was a unanimous decision.

I hope this puts things into perspective for you but as always you know where I am should you wish to ask anything further.

Thanks

Alan

Alan Cooke VATGOV11

Vice President - Membership
VATSIM Board of Governors

[email protected]   

Do you have an account query check out FAQ

spacer.png9KMxVhG.png.e77dfe6e65703daa7a59178600611036.png

Greg Barber
Posted
Posted

Thanks Alan,

That puts it in perspective.

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

• 4 months later...
Jason Griffiths 1401624
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if this is still closed I’d like to do the p2 I just think I had the flight test to do

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

You can find a list of Authorized Training Organizations (ATOs) at https://ptd.vatsim.net/atos

Tomas Hansson