You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Would I have to file a flight plan to do a traffic pattern.?

Emmett Cleland 1463941

Emmett Cleland 1463941
Posted
Posted

hey Im new on vatsim and I have not done a single flight on this network and I wanna keep my first flight simple by remaining in the pattern. I don't want to start though until I know if I have to file a flight plan for it.

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM Emmett! You generally aren’t required to file a flight plan for VFR flights or pattern work. However it is helpful to the controller ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming there is one online) if you do go ahead and file a fp anyways.

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your soon-to-be addiction

Cheers

• Like 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

type = vfr

origin & destination = same

cruise altitude = field elevation + 1000

time enroute = 0:30 (or however long you plan to do it)

route = "CLOSED TRAFFIC"

... though, as stated, all this is optional. When you call the controller for taxi to the active for closed traffic, the controller will fill in a basic plan for you. They may ask your aircraft type.

FYI, there are minor regional phraseology differences in how you ask for closed traffic, but, the gist of it should be essentially the same.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Nickolas Christopher
Posted
Posted

In the U.S., you do not have to file a flight plan. In fact, in real world operations, you don't file a flight plan for closed traffic.

An example closed traffic call: "Van Nuys Ground, N12345 at general aviation ramp, request closed traffic. Ready to taxi with information alpha."

That's it.

• Like 1

Los Angeles ARTCC Air Traffic Manager
VATUSA Division
https://laartcc.org

Bjoern Helge Smaavollan
Posted
Posted

Some airports IRL require you to file a flightplan in order to fly to and or from the airport. And some airports also prohibts training circuits.

Some controllers like to simulate this on VATSIM as well, although myself and many other try to accomodate circuits as long as traffic permits. I know that we on vatsim aren't allowed to refuse pilots flying, but on busy times on larger airports it would be hard to do the circuits as IFR have priority over VFR and likely would need to expect a lot of holding.

Just remember filing a flightplan doesn't necessarily mean you have to prefile it. You could just file it by voice to the controller as he has the possibility to add the FPL to the system through his ATC client.

• Like 1