You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Moving to Europe...

Scott Smith 921136

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I'm planning on moving from the UK to begin controlling in france again with my friend, we have great admiration for the french country and have always thought about moving over there for a wee challenge as well as to help the growth of traffic.

I have a few questions however I am a little bit unsure about...

On the VATEUD site it says that when becoming an S3 controllers you need to sit a theory exam (which i have done in the UK) it also says that I have to do certain hours (which i have also done) however on the French VACC site it says I need to do a practical exam but on the VATEUD it doesn't mention it, which one is right?

Look forward to your response

Scott Smith

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted

forget VATEUD statements on their site and mail vacc-france.

They will handle you faster and act according to VATEUD policies.

By the way, I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you want to become a visiting controller in France...

...or do you want to transfer to another division?

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

No, I'm wanting to transfer to the French VACC to see what it's like in a different country, as well as get a challenge

Thanks for your response

Scott

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted
No, I'm wanting to transfer to the French VACC to see what it's like in a different country, as well as get a challenge

Just my simple opinion, but if you want to "see what it's like in a different country", it's better IMHO to join them as visiting controller. I'm sure that transfering there means some work to do to change your country in the database. If you then don't like it, somebody has to switch you back... etc etc

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott,

VATEUD do not require that a STU+ practical is undergone, it is only a VATEUD-wide requirement for CTR and CTR+, and thus it is at the discretion of the vACC in question. Frederic (vACC France Training Director) does conduct informal over the shoulder sessions before p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing recommendation for STU+ promotion.

Whether your STU+ written test is acceptable in EUD is up to the Training Director of EUD, Peter Nielsen. He can be reached at [email protected]. He is on holiday at the moment, but I believe he is back later this week (can't remember the date off hand).

For [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance in France, contact Frederic Navarro, [email protected].

Regards,

Thomas George

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted

Hello Scott,

I'm rather like you in the sense I'm British and control (since nearly 2 years) in Frankfurt FIR germany. Pilots are amazed to hear a english accent when calling in. It's a great experience controlling in a country away from home. The only obstacle is you'll allways have the French VFR pilots who have the right to contact you in their local language, i.e French, and sometimes they call for some help . But you'll get used to it, something like "British controller" in the atis might help.

siggy.png

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

Just my simple opinion, but if you want to "see what it's like in a different country", it's better IMHO to join them as visiting controller. I'm sure that transfering there means some work to do to change your country in the database. If you then don't like it, somebody has to switch you back... etc etc

Luca,

Thanks for your opinion, I do agree that it takes more effort, however because of some problems I have decided that my reason RTS wasn't for me, so even if this doesn't work out I will probably be moving else where.

Thomas,

Thanks for that information

I have contacted Frederic regarding my written examination and he has told me that I need to sit the examination, however I will contact Peter and hopefully he can give me a clear idea.

Oliver,

Thanks for that, I decided that I needed a change from my recent airport, wanted a wee challenge and something different. I thought Pairs would be ideal but if that fails I would like to change to a German or Canadian airport as I have a lot interest in both.

I am hoping to climb the ratings as quick as possible, hopefully I can find a mentor that can take me through them all.

Thanks for all your comments

Scott

George Anopov 895164
Posted
Posted

Nice to expect atc in France in near future, Scott! Atc and air traffic in France is not as intensive as in Uk. Furthermore, i got controlled by Paris Control only once (of course Eurocontroll frequently appears, but it covers whole western Eu, not only France), so when i was on my cruise fl, some idi*t who was behind me, on the same airway, accelerated up to mach 95 (on b763). I've just had time to caught him on tcas (already being as a red target) and disengage cmd instantly. Controller didn't notify me... What's the point of logging in as a Center if you have lot's of traffic in lower airspaces and ignoring you primary customers - those ones who cruising in upper flight levels.

Personally i can't imagine Egtt_n_ctr on Friday night without lover Lon_nw_ctr or Heathrow Director…

Anyway, good luck Scott!

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

George,

Once I start controlling again I shall expect to see you flying in

George Anopov 895164
Posted
Posted
George,

Once I start controlling again I shall expect to see you flying in

Will see. In what airport you will be manned?

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

LFPG

George Anopov 895164
Posted
Posted
LFPG

Ok, then, just give me a promise, you will learn names of all taxiways and links in Charles De Gaulle