You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Installing different versions of swift side-by-side?

Jeffrey Pang

Jeffrey Pang
Posted
Posted

I'm running X-Plane 11 and was wondering if it was possible to have different versions of swift installed on the same computer side-by-side? I'd only be running one version at one time, but I want to install both the beta and the alpha version.

The alpha version has a feature I'd like to test out, but I still want to have a working fallback.

On the installation page here, it says "it is generally recommended to install swift into a versioned folder. This allows keeping several versions in parallel (one for testing, one for production for example). All installed and downloaded files are directory based and isolated for each version."

What about xSwiftBus? Would I need to install both xSwiftBus versions to X-Plane and disable / enable the corresponding xSwiftBus version depending on which version of swift I was running?

Also, can I import my previous version Beta settings into the Alpha version of swift? I seem to remember having problems creating my model set and would rather not go through it again.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi,

you can install as many versions of swift in parallel as you wish. You may have to manually modify the name of the folders if you install another sub-version of the current main-version. For example if you have 0.9.1.1000 (fictional name) installed and you wish to install 0.9.1.2000, then the swift-installer will automatically want to install both of them into "swift-0.9.1-64bit", thus overwriting version 0.9.1.1000. If you change the folder-name then this won't happen.

xswiftbus is another story. The version number of xswiftbus has to match the version of swift that you want to run. When switching from using one version of swift to another, you may have to copy-paste the respective version of xswiftbus before starting X-Plane. You can always try to run swift without doing this (using the latest version of xswiftbus), but there's no guarantee that it will work.

Jeffrey Pang
Posted
Posted

Ah, got it. I've installed my second copy in a different directory.

Is there a way to manually start the swift copy models wizard to import my model set from my other swift installation?

Either the setup wizard did not ask me, or I closed it out accidentally.