You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

so whens the date then!!

Darren Elliott 821008

Darren Elliott 821008
Posted
Posted

back when Vatsim made a blog post about shutting down access to some vatsim connectors, you made it well clear of the ones affected by said "closure" that they will not be accepted to connect to vatsim, and part of me hates that but I can live with it.

One thing that bothers me is that you don't have a set date that it goes into effect at all leaving many who are sticking with their favorite vatsim connector program, out in the dust on when it's going to happen...so this is not about something not working but a problem with the blog ppst..

most companies would leave some info on the date or time and you are a company as well in some shape or form, shouldn't leave members who are affected by these type of things high and dry ...

or is it that i havent see the blog and it has been updated!!

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
One thing that bothers me is that you don't have a set date that it goes into effect at all leaving many who are sticking with their favorite vatsim connector program, out in the dust on when it's going to happen...so this is not about something not working but a problem with the blog ppst..

most companies would leave some info on the date or time and you are a company as well in some shape or form, shouldn't leave members who are affected by these type of things high and dry ...

Darren,

VATSIM posts Board of Governor meeting minutes which a easily and publicly available for viewing >>>HERE<<<, as per the last meeting(BOG_2019-Q2_1);

3.3 Adhoc Votes Since the Previous Meeting

To remove SquawkBox, SquawkBox747, SquawkBox for Fly!, XConnect and FSInn from the Approved Pilot Clients. To remove ASRC and SPARC from the Approved Air Traffic Controller Clients. To remove SquawkBox, FSInn, AVC and ASRC from the Approved Voice Software. To note the above changes as revision 1905. The effective date of this motion is to be preceded by a period of at least 14 days public notice via VATSIM NOTAM system(s). The effective date is the date of the release of Audiofor VATSIM (AFV)

The date of the release of Audio for VATSIM (AFV) is not set yet, so the 14 day public notice of withdrawl hasn't been posted yet.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Well, who reads the meeting minutes, only very few. In this respect Darren has a point, this detail (14 days public notice period) could have been mentioned in an updated blog post to re-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure members that they won't be left alone from one day to another.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
Well, who reads the meeting minutes, only very few.

So?, that is not the VATSIM BOG fault, someone takes the time to take and type up then publish the minutes. its up to the membership to go and read it before giving out about some lack of notice.

In this respect Darren has a point, this detail (14 days public notice period) could have been mentioned in an updated blog post to re-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure members that they won't be left alone from one day to another.

Darren's main complaint/point is that they haven't set a date, well.....they haven't so how can they give a 14 day notice?.

They'll be given a 14 day notice once the decision date for the AFV release date is made "... via VATSIM NOTAM system".

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
They'll be given a 14 day notice once the decision date for the AFV release date is made "... via VATSIM NOTAM system".

... which means all VATSIM members will receive an email when the date is officially set.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

To be clear, we aren't pulling support for anything overnight with no notice. Support for Squawkbox and FSInn will cease on the same day Audio for VATSIM is launched. Everyone will receive an email with at least 14 days notice when this takes place.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Same can be said for the forum, now everyone expects their information and support via Socal Media.

A major VATSIM change like this, as with the change to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words, would be emailed out via the NOTAM emails.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Same can be said for the forum, now everyone expects their information and support via Socal Media.

A major VATSIM change like this, as with the change to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words, would be emailed out via the NOTAM emails.

Well, but who reads emails anymore...

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Well, but who reads emails anymore...

Well, I do - and I don't have a Facebook account either.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Probably an idea to make sure your email address is up to date now also if you’re likely to be affected by the change

Trevor Hannant

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

...and, just to make it clear: the real message, of course, is that if you are using a pilot client other than vPilot, Swift or XSquawkbox for X-Plane, you should really take action to move to one of the above now and that way your transition to the new voice system will be seamless and you'll have a bit of time to get used to your new client and any kinks ironed out!

Much as we love Squawkbox et al (and look, it's a big part of our history and I have fond memories of my first steps on SATCO with SB2), if we want the network to move out of the 1990s from a technical point of view we have to say goodbye to these clients. They've served us well, but if we want to see things like better voice, smoother position updates and many, many more exciting things we have to leave these unsupported and abandoned clients behind.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted
...and, just to make it clear: the real message, of course, is that if you are using a pilot client other than vPilot, Swift or XSquawkbox for X-Plane, you should really take action to move to one of the above now and that way your transition to the new voice system will be seamless and you'll have a bit of time to get used to your new client and any kinks ironed out!

Much as we love Squawkbox et al (and look, it's a big part of our history and I have fond memories of my first steps on SATCO with SB2), if we want the network to move out of the 1990s from a technical point of view we have to say goodbye to these clients. They've served us well, but if we want to see things like better voice, smoother position updates and many, many more exciting things we have to leave these unsupported and abandoned clients behind.

Simon couldn’t be more correct.

AFV is a huge step forward on our technology and is overdue for ages. The membership will be notified when support will cease on the old clients…. Just update your clients. There are alternatives to the “old” ones so, no big deal …

Daniel Gomes

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

But....but...but... I LOVE my Roger Wilco!!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
But....but...but... I LOVE my Roger Wilco!!

A shelf is a nice place to keep it in

Me.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Meanwhile I'm happily using AFV with FSInn, it works perfectly.

I can fully understand not publicising it or SB3 as a client for new peeps but if there's no material benefit to the network of switching it off and a risk of losing existing users then why do it? I know it'd give some people a nice smug feeling though #justsayin

Bill Casey

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

It has nothing to do with "smug feeling", and I personally really don't like how you put that. It has everything with moving the network forward technologically. However, rest [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured that VATSIM leadership is doing all that it can to accommodate the 1% (yes, it really is only 1%) of our users that still use SB and FSInn (combined). Short term, I think you'll be happy with VATSIM's next major announcement, coming Soon.

If I wanted to be snide back, and I don't, but if I did, I'd counter

if there's no material benefit to the network of switching it off and a risk of losing existing users

with
It's been announced multiple times for many months that a technological change with significant material benefit is coming that will require a client change for those users still using developer-abandoned clients, and those that don't embrace change and advancement there's a risk of losing VATSIM...

Like I say, though, VATSIM leadership does care to make things as easy and comfortable for our users as possible, and you'll likely be happy with the upcoming announcement.... Stay tuned!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

October 14 then! SB and FsInn users better start testing other software, now you have time.

Update:

If I’m using FSInn or Squawkbox, do I need to upgrade to a new client to use Audio for VATSIM?

Following feedback from the community, the team have made arrangements for Audio for VATSIM to be compatible with these clients, although you’ll still need to follow the instructions posted shortly to install a standalone client before the switchover. That said, FSInn and Squawkbox will cease to be supported in the coming months as we make other enhancements (increasing the refresh rate) to VATSIM, so you are strongly recommended to use this opportunity to upgrade to a more modern client.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Another more modern client such as Swift (if you use a simulator that isn't FSX/P3D/Xplane). Which is every bit as good as FSinn ever was imo.

For those of us P3D users, well, Vpilot is just so easy to use. It's essentially set and forget. Also, with the new voice codec beta system I haven't had any of the voice room timeout issues I used to have with the old (current for another 14 days) codec.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Darren Elliott 821008
Posted
Posted

so it looks like thats the last time I will connect to vatsim!!

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Smh

Sorry but I just can’t understand the logic behind people leaving VATSIM because they can’t use a particular pilot client.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

And why should that be?

You will notice from the announcement that SB and FSINN will continue to work for now although you will need to download a separate piece of software for voice.

However at some point in the future the inevitable will happen because the core network will eventually need to be upgraded.

Forgive me but I have to say it seems rather bizarre to me that given the choice between using a slightly different but fundamentally very similar and equally free piece of software or never flying online ever again (as I don't believe SB can be used on any other network) you would choose the latter. Seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, but maybe that is just me.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Bye.

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Well SB/FS9 worked great. Time to move on to Swift.

nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

And please move on to swift soonish, so we have more helping hands in finding and eliminating critical bugs. The earlier we find them, the better it will be for all involved!

PS: if you need help installing and setting up swift (32 bit version for FS9), join our Discord server and contact me there directly. I will be around for the next 4 days.

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Looking at the SWIFT pilot client, beta/win32 there are two downloads. One is 49.6mb the second one is 48.8 mb .Which one.

What is the difference.

nebojsa