You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX and FSE:SE Model Matching Issue

Ahmed Zeineldin 1450113

Ahmed Zeineldin 1450113
Posted
Posted

Hello! I've recently have logged onto the VATSIM NETWORK and then when I connected all the other aircrafts were default. I have FLAI installed and when I entered into settings there was a bar showing Model Matching FSX and another which showed Model Matching FSX:SE. The one with FSX has all my files but the one with FSX:SE did not recognise anything and when I hit scan it shows 0 models, 0 identified. I have a picture over here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9chlczavex4fhpz/Untitled.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffhllw52xbwshuy/vPILOT.jpg?dl=0

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahmed, please open this folder in a windows explorer window:

%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Within that folder you should see a file called fsx_se.CFG

Open that file in a text editor, and search for lines starting with SimObjectPaths

Do you find any such lines?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ahmed Zeineldin 1450113
Posted
Posted

Nope, only found graphis and texture max load.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, so that's why vPilot isn't finding any models. I think I'll need to make a change to vPilot to have it detect this situation where you have both FSX and FSX:SE installed and they both point to the same exe file.

For now, you should be able to fix it by copying the SimObjectPaths entries from your FSX.cfg file to your FSX_SE.cfg file. You can find your FSX.cfg file here:

%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX

Make sure they are in the [Main] section.

Ahmed Zeineldin 1450113
Posted
Posted

Thanks! It finally worked thanks to you.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, great. I would like to modify vPilot so that it properly detects this situation where you have FSX and FSX:SE both pointing to the same folder. It would be helpful for me to know the simulator name that vPilot detects when you run it. Can you look at the startup messages and tell me exactly what it shows in the line starting with "Connected to simulator." ? For example, mine says:

[15:07:38] Connected to simulator. (Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v4)

Ahmed Zeineldin 1450113
Posted
Posted

Says the exact same thing but for FSX, it scans the models for FSX but not FSXSE. But now its okay.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can you tell me exactly what it says?

Maciej Wal 1393299
Posted
Posted

@Ross Carlson 887155 I have the same issue, FSX its finding all Model Matching but FSXSE says zero, I'll try to change cfg file and see if it works ... if you need any logs just send me pm and I can send them to you so you can change so in the future should work without any problems. Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maciej, do your FSX and FSX:SE installations both point to the same folder?

Thomas Pain 1418710
Posted
Posted

Evening!

I have the same issue, however I only have FSX:SE installed. The fsx-se.cfg file contained only

[Graphics]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
HIGHMEMFIX=1

before I added the main and SimObjectPaths sections.

Once connected to the sim in vPilot (with FSX:SE) I get the following:

[23:01:01] Connected to simulator. (Microsoft Flight Simulator X)
[23:01:01] Custom model matching rules loaded.
[23:01:01] Model matching rules generated.

Models were initially only found in the FSX entry in the settings menu. Adding my model matching VMR files to the FSX entry did not get any models to show, only the default one. Adding the VMR files to the FSX:SE entry did show models, but not the correct models (ie. 737-200s for RYR because 738s were broken - I am going to reinstall FLAi tomorrow to see if it's an issue with that or A318s for EIN but I now think it's because they could not be found because of the paths).

From what I can tell, FSX:SE uses the

%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX

stuff instead of the FSX-SE folder.

Hope this helps

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thomas, did you ever have regular FSX installed?

Maciej Wal 1393299
Posted
Posted

I only have FSXSE, and what I done its add SimObjectPaths to FSX.cfg, restarted vpilot and all sorted working like it should be ...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maciej, If you only have FSXSE installed, then why did you say this:

"FSX its finding all Model Matching but FSXSE says zero"

?

Maciej Wal 1393299
Posted
Posted

Hi, Before updating Vpilot I had "Model Matching (FSX)" and was working perfectly fine, but after updating Vpilot its "Model Matching (FSX) and "Model Matching (FSX:SE) where on the FSX I had my all models but in FSX:SE was none, thats why adding line to .cfg solved problem with no models in FSX:SE.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maciej, I am confused by your posts. Please answer this question, and this question only:

Do you have both FSX and FSX:SE installed or just FSX:SE?

Maciej Wal 1393299
Posted
Posted

Only FSX:SE

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, thank you. I think what happened is that Steam updated FSX:SE so that it now installs configuration files in the same place as the boxed version of FSX. So if you had FSX:SE installed before this change, you will have the config files where vPilot looks for them when checking if you have FSX:SE installed. Then, when this update came out, it now installs the config files in the spot where vPilot looks for them when checking if you have regular FSX installed. This leads to vPilot thinking you have both FSX and FSX:SE installed.

I think I'll update vPilot to detect when it finds registry keys and config files for both FSX and FSX:SE, but the registry keys both point to the same exe file, and when that happens, it will ignore the FSX:SE files and only use the FSX files.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Maciej (and others in this thread with the same issue) can you please give this build of vPilot a try?

https://vpilot.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vPilot-Setup-2.4.1.exe

This should show ONLY FSX in your model matching settings. Please let me know how it works out.

Thanks.