You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sqwuak MODE C taxi

Vernon Howells 1283665

Vernon Howells 1283665
Posted
Posted

After requesting push and start i was told by the GND controller at LIS to sqwuak MODE Charlie.

I had my 737NG transponder at ALT OFF so I turned it on to ALT ON / XPDNR

Why is the controller asking this? I know real world ops pilots use ALT OFF on the ground.

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
After requesting push and start i was told by the GND controller at LIS to sqwuak MODE Charlie.

I had my 737NG transponder at ALT OFF so I turned it on to ALT ON / XPDNR

Why is the controller asking this? I know real world ops pilots use ALT OFF on the ground.

Most airports now have a form of ground radar that will require you to have your transponder on in order to use - becoming very common.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

This is an issue of VATSIM not simulating all transponder modes available in the real world.

In the real world setting your 737s transponder to "ALT OFF" switches it into mode 3/A operations - this is not available on VATSIM. Our transponders only have two modes - off and 3/C.

Sice VATSIM only has these two modes we use the only one that actually gets a SSR response for our gorund radars - mode 3/C.

[All of this is ignoring mode S operations, which I don't want to get into here, because VATSIM does not support that properly anyways].

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Crowley
Posted
Posted

I can only speak to the US, Canada and Mexico, but pilots are definitely requested to squawk Mode C on taxiways. No one uses "alt off" here...

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

Nice to know. My answer came from Europe, where we use 3/A (ALT OFF) on the ground and switch it to mode C on line-up (TA/RA).