You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

AFV and swift

Russell Diehl

Russell Diehl
Posted
Posted

I have come across two conflicting descriptions as to how swift is to be used once AFV is active.

This user manual insists that AFV is integrated into the client and is ready to go.

And this landing page says otherwise and that the standalone client will be required.

Can someone shed some reliable light and indicate which is correct? I am hopeful it is he former so I can sit around and do nothing confident my current installation is ready to go come October 14th!

Russell Diehl

Russell Diehl - 1104622

VATPAC VFR Coordinator

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi Russell, thanks for the heads up!

Currently the standalone is required, until we have confirmation from the swift team that they have a version with AFV integrated ready for release. There is a small possibility that this happens before Sunday, but DON'T take this as a 'promise' for it.

Cheers,

Me.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

The developers of swift have been very busy with integrating AFV into the program. I do NOT know the current status, but I hope that it will be ready for the official release of AFV.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Well, Russell, you got the pessimist's view followed by the optimist's. I think the thing to do is be prepared for either situation. Appropriate instructions will be provided on Monday, I'm sure.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I just found a very recent statement of one of the developers of swift:

we are currently working on the AFV integration, but we cannot promise to have it ready on release date but latest soon after

Marco Corradi
Posted
Posted

We, who are iMac user, do we have to forget flying with VATSIM?

saluti from Marco Corradi

Russell Diehl
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Just an update regarding swift with afv. The initial alpha had some issues in X-Plane on linux. The audio would summarily fail to output any sound however capture appeared to continue once a scenario was loaded. There were only some stability problems when I fell back to FSX in Windows 32. Otherwise AFV was functioning.

Much to the developers credit, the second alpha release resolved the loss of audio output when loading a flight scenario in X-Plane in linux. So congrats on this. In addition the stability is now rock solid with no freezing after 40+ mins of operation.

The second alpha did introduce problems whereby transmission is now fixed to COM1 and both COM1 and COM2 fixed to always receive ignoring any attempts to turn off or change the settings. I suspect this was done intentionally to overcome the initial problems alluded to in the first alpha.

Also of note is that the audio realism of AFV in the versions I have so far operated appears to retain voice clarity even at extreme ranges whereas there is a belief that reception would typically expect to be highly distorted and scratchy rendering transmission all but incomprehensible.

Despite the two issues mentioned the client is eminently functional and I will eagerly continue flying using swift as my primary means of connecting to VATSIM. Once these two issues are addressed then the clients will be awesome!

Rusty

Russell Diehl - 1104622

VATPAC VFR Coordinator

Viktor Graf 1422726
Posted
Posted

Is there anything else to do to hear the ATC?

I have installed and setup AFV as per the instructions. I see how I "receive" and "transmit" however I don't hear the controllers. Using SWIFT 0.9.2.909161111 at the moment.

Looking forward to your answers.

Regards

Corsair Obsidian 750D | Asus ROG Maximus Hero Xi | i9-9900K | Corsair H115i Pro | 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Corsair AX760 | Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Seagate 1 TB | Seagate 2TB | LG DVD Drive | Acer XB241H | Win 10 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | FiiO E10K DAC-AMP | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Steelseries QcK | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

Andre Bohni
Posted
Posted
Is there anything else to do to hear the ATC?

I have installed and setup AFV as per the instructions. I see how I "receive" and "transmit" however I don't hear the controllers. Using SWIFT 0.9.2.909161111 at the moment.

Looking forward to your answers.

Regards

If you use Swift version 0.9.2 or older you have to use as well the AFV standalone Client. AFV is integrated in SWIFT 0.9.3 and newer. Keep in Mind that 0.9.3 is still an Alpha Version and may have some Bugs

Regards

eddk,lsas,vatgerfb,vatgercpt,worldflight,euroscope,vatoic,fsrealwx.jpg1178638.png

Andre Bohni
Posted
Posted
Hi,

The second alpha did introduce problems whereby transmission is now fixed to COM1 and both COM1 and COM2 fixed to always receive ignoring any attempts to turn off or change the settings. I suspect this was done intentionally to overcome the initial problems alluded to in the first alpha.

You can now choose if you would sync the Radiopanel with the aircraft or not, because some of the Aircraftdevelopers use not the standard Set of Offsets and so Swift don't recognise correctly there Settings, so you can override the Tx/Rx in the Client.

Regards

eddk,lsas,vatgerfb,vatgercpt,worldflight,euroscope,vatoic,fsrealwx.jpg1178638.png

Viktor Graf 1422726
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you use Swift version 0.9.2 or older you have to use as well the AFV standalone Client. AFV is integrated in SWIFT 0.9.3 and newer. Keep in Mind that 0.9.3 is still an Alpha Version and may have some Bugs

Regards

I use 0.92. and I have AFV installed. People can hear me but I can't hear them.

UPDATE: Disregard last, Wrong output device selected. Now everything is 5/5.

Edited by Guest

Corsair Obsidian 750D | Asus ROG Maximus Hero Xi | i9-9900K | Corsair H115i Pro | 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Corsair AX760 | Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Seagate 1 TB | Seagate 2TB | LG DVD Drive | Acer XB241H | Win 10 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | FiiO E10K DAC-AMP | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Steelseries QcK | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

Andre Bohni
Posted
Posted

is it correct that you se the Rx light up when someone is sending? If yes, i think there is a problem with your sounddevice.

If No then you have to check, that the volume or Receive on your Radio in the Airplane is selected and not muted.

Regards

Viktor Graf 1422726
Posted
Posted

Yes that is correct. RX flashed when others seemingly have talked to me or each other and TX flashed when I pushed the PTT button that I have set in the settings menu. The controller also wrote me that he has heard me 5/5.

Shame on me for picking the wrong output device