You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Monitor Function

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I have had a longtime problem in that I can select a station to monitor-it will show Landline Status Monitoring in the upper left information block but there is no sound heard even though active channels area audible.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

This is just a guess, but with the switch over to the new voice system, you can pretty much count on all voice related functions within VRC not to be working at the moment.

Controlling via VRC currently requires a separate app for the audio.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

While functions that interacted with the frequency (read "monitor" function) will almost certainly need to be reintegrated. If I remember correctly, the G2G connections (being P2P?) worked differently, and most importantly separate from voice. Since Roger mentioned this has been a long time problem, I believe it may have been a port issue. However, these functions will need to be updated, I would not worry about it for the time being.

Edit: Reviewing docomeentation, I believe the above is wrong. Appears that there is only one incoming port used for voice traffic so if there are no voice issues over frequency, there should have been no issues with the G2G voice.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ground-to-ground voice uses direct peer-to-peer connections, which is not true of air-to-ground voice. So it's quite likely that someone could have problems with G2G but not A2G.

Anyway, monitoring definitely will not work with AFV. You can still monitor someone, but you won't hear their air-to-ground comms. You will still hear their ground-to-ground comms, though.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC