You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift and TCAS - FS9

Phil Meadows

Phil Meadows
Posted
Posted

Yes, I am an old duffer who still uses FS9.

I have recently changed computers. Loaded FS( and shocked to see Squawk-box isn't working anymore. So, downloaded swift.

After setting it up , used it for a while but noted that the TCAS traffic wasn't displaying. Traffic showed on the Swift radar screen, and I could even see the other players "out of the window" at various airfields and airborne with the various tags.

is there a way to set swift so that the various TCAS gauges i have - including PMDG - can actually work?

Everything used to work with Squawk box, including FSNav multiplayer displays. Swift seems a bit disappointing!

Cheers.

Phil.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey Phil,

I still use FS9, too, at times. I got the same issue, no TCAS data in FS9. I do not remember, but maybe I have already made a bug-report about it. At this time, the developers are more focussed on getting AFV to work (it is doing fine, but some more details need fixing), so TCAS is rather down the list in terms of priority.

And why is swift disappointing? You are getting a free client that is actively developed and for free.

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Same problem here.

nebojsa

Phil Meadows
Posted
Posted

Andreas - thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the software is free, as I appreciate all those who give up there time to run Vatsim for free too.

However, my comment on disappointment was this: Squawkbox3 was easy to install, very easy to set up, worked well and TCAS worked. Swift was complicated to set up, not as easy to use and TCAS doesn’t work.

If Squawkbox didn’t work on the new servers then tweak Squawkbox. I do not like Swift. It is over complicated and doesn’t work as well.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

You see, I enjoyed Squawkbox, too. But after using swift for a while I got used to it and got to appreciate its functions. I'd give it a chance and if you find the design and number of functions too much, then please give the developers feedback. They are the first to admit that they are NOT graphic/GUI designers and since there are no volunteers for this task, this is what they came up with.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
If Squawkbox didn’t work on the new servers then tweak Squawkbox.

If you know how to get a hold of the Squawkbox developers and get them interested in updating it, please let us know. They vanished from the scene, what, ten years ago now?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Phil Meadows
Posted
Posted

It would also be nice if the transmit button worked when Swift wasn't on top. Makes it interesting responding to a call and setting required ALT and HDG at the same time.

If Swift was designed because the code for Squawkbox etc couldn't be found, surely the makers of Swift could have designed it as a Module rather than stand alone?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Are you running swift as administrator, like FS9? Normally swift does not need to be "on top" for the PTT-key to work.

swift was mainly programmed for X-Plane and FSX/P3D. FS9 was just a side-development, because it is a very outdated and non-supported simulator. I used FS9 until last year before switching to XP11.

Daniel Morris 1132365
Posted
Posted

hey @Andreas - does your TCAS currently work in swift? mine does not, wondering if the problem is not just limited to FS9 at the moment?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

The last time I checked - I am using X-Plane 11 and swift 0.9.3.xxxxx1949 - it worked. In FS9 it does not work for the time being, a bug report has been opened. The team currently has more pressing issues, but I guess it will not be forgotten.

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I dont' know what those more pressing issues are besides FS9

nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Plugins and gauges for CPDLC that can be integrated into any flightdeck (wishful thinking). If you know any coder who would like to go such a project, let us know.

• 1 month later...
Phil Meadows
Posted
Posted

Sadly, I am bowing out of Vatsim.

I appreciate the hard work that goes into Vatsim and the time/effort required for the software etc. However, I am not upgrading FS9 to another Sim. FS9 works perfectly well for me and the other software that works with it won't work on other sims. So, rather than spend lots of money on updated - I will keep FS9.

Sadly, I can't get on with Swift. Squawkbox - whilst I know what others may say - was simple. Easy to use, connected everything I needed and as well as TCAS, also connected FS Nav which was great. Sadly, Swift does neither of those two, and I need a software engineer's degree to set it up. Not so easy for someone my age.

As I am just one player - and clearly [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the stone age - Vatsim no longer caters for me. It is a shame after many years as a member.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear you've made that decision. Of course, you can still use FS9/SB with the standalone AFV client in the near future. The sunset date hasn't been determined yet. So take advantage as long as you can, and hopefully you'll change your mind in the meantime.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi Phil! Before "letting VATSIM go", I'd suggest you drop by on swift's Discord and ask for help setting it up. There's always someone willing to do it, and once it's all installed all you really need to do is open it and click connect. No need to faff around with all of the other settings if you don't need them

EDIT: I see you've already got swift set up. It does indeed have its buggettes (which is why it's still a beta), but the team work pretty quickly to fix them all

Me.

Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted
Sadly, I am bowing out of Vatsim.

I appreciate the hard work that goes into Vatsim and the time/effort required for the software etc. However, I am not upgrading FS9 to another Sim. FS9 works perfectly well for me and the other software that works with it won't work on other sims. So, rather than spend lots of money on updated - I will keep FS9.

Sadly, I can't get on with Swift. Squawkbox - whilst I know what others may say - was simple. Easy to use, connected everything I needed and as well as TCAS, also connected FS Nav which was great. Sadly, Swift does neither of those two, and I need a software engineer's degree to set it up. Not so easy for someone my age.

As I am just one player - and clearly [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the stone age - Vatsim no longer caters for me. It is a shame after many years as a member.

Hi Phil

Don't give up. I will be using FS9 until it's unusable I cannot justify spending thousands to build a high end machine plus all the addons to get the same level as I have now.

The swift development team is not big but my goodness they are not dropping FS9 support, I can see this first hand. As mentioned earlier in the threads FS9 was a side project on this but in reality it is being worked on. Not many people as far as I have seen have provided much feedback for FS9 so that makes things a bit harder to develop. I have found issues with swift for FS9 but I am trying to help the developers by testing new builds and things are looking very good. There are a couple of issues right (nothing that prevents you using FS9 on the network right now) now but they are really close to being solved and honestly from my testing so far FS9 will be able to be running on vatsim without issues and using the new voice, which is awesome!

I am pretty sure the TCAS will also get solved along the line I know it's reported and it's something I want to work well and again I will happily test versions to help the developers implement this.

If you need help please ask. Setting up the installation for FS9 takes 5 mins max, it looks a little daunting but it's not so bad. There is a discord channel where you can find help or even better help test I will also be happy to help you along. With the new voice it's definitely a bad time to leave VATSIM

19.png