You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice list

Martijn Rammeloo

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

Obviously, the voice list in ES no longer works. Are you planning on making it work again during the integration of AFV into ES?

Kind regards,

Martijn

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

I think that this cannot work anymore.

There is nothing like voice rooms anymore und iirc the developers decided not to offer such kind of list.

If you really need to find out, which frequency a pilot has tuned, use the .inf command. Otherwise, like in real life, accept that you cannot know who listens

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Correct. Closest thing you'll probably be able to get is the RDF plugin

Me.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
Correct. Closest thing you'll probably be able to get is the RDF plugin

Or simply ask

I never used that Plugin, nor the list. It is possible - "say again callsign" is available

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Too much work for my vocal chords

Me.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
Too much work for my vocal chords
You lazy

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Schiphol uses two auto-handoff procedures (TWR->Departure and TWR->Ground), meaning that a pilot should contact the next station at predescribed moments without instruction from ATC, and without 'saying goodbye'.

On VATSIM, some pilots are aware of this, some are not. For the tower controller on VATSIM, the voice list is a very convenient tool to check if a pilot is still (and wrongly) on his frequency, so that he can instruct the pilot to contact the next station after all. Failing to do so will cause pilots leveling off at the initial climb FL, or stopping at the runway exit, in both cases hindering the sequence / traffic flow.

The lack of a voice list will inevitably lead to an increased workload for the departure and ground controllers. It's not the end of the world, but it's a loss anyway.

(And yes, I am aware that RL controllers don't have a voice list. I am even more aware that RL pilots are better informed about local RL procedures than VATSIM pilots. Therefore, the 'RL argument' is not valid in this case in my opinion).

Anyway, as this seems to be a design choice, bad luck for me for now. From a technical standpoint this cannot be hard to implement: all aircraft can broadcast their current freq ever X seconds, and at server level, you can keep track of all frequencies in respect to the ground stations and their range.

Martijn

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
Or repeat "contact radar when airborne, goodbye" with the takeoff clearance.

That is the obvious workaround, but not 'as real as it gets'.

Martijn

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

More real than a list, but I get your point

Me.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted
Or repeat "contact radar when airborne, goodbye" with the takeoff clearance.

That is the obvious workaround, but not 'as real as it gets'.

Martijn

I think you are contradicting yourself here. In the former post you want to have voice list, which you don't have IRL. Now you don't want to repeat the ""contact radar when airborne, goodbye" with the takeoff clearance."

I suggest you use Claus' RDF plugin, which is also found IRL. Easy to implement and use.

I do agree, that it would be nice if we, the VATSIM pilots, were better to implement IRL procedures, but this is a hobby, not a career job, so we, VATSIM controllers, should strive - as I'm sure you do - to give the best service to our clients.

regards

Torben

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

I think you are contradicting yourself here. In the former post you want to have voice list, which you don't have IRL. Now you don't want to repeat the ""contact radar when airborne, goodbye" with the takeoff clearance."

I suggest you use Claus' RDF plugin, which is also found IRL. Easy to implement and use.

I do agree, that it would be nice if we, the VATSIM pilots, were better to implement IRL procedures, but this is a hobby, not a career job, so we, VATSIM controllers, should strive - as I'm sure you do - to give the best service to our clients.

regards

Torben

I think I made it clear that I know that a voice list also is not 'as real as it gets'. It is simply a choice between 'two bads', not really a contradiction. And your last sentences actually enhances my point: since not all pilots are aware of RL procedures, but we (controllers) still want to give the best service to them, we could use some 'cheats' in order to achieve that.

RDF is of no use in this case, because as long as a pilot doesn't call me (for example because he wrongly remains on the previous frequency, waiting for an instruction to contact the next station), RDF won't do anything at all. I might add that RDF may be considered a cheat as well, not all ANS providers have it.

Martijn

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

If you wish to have it as real as possible, at the end of each takeoff clearance, say "bye bye". To most pilots this will be a good clue that they need to switch on their own initiative. Works well for us in Germany.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
Works well for us in Germany.
When was your last TWR/APP Session?

It works in many cases, but I wouldn't call it "well". But after all, it's a quick call from DEP to TWR and a pilot levelling off (he deserves that for not reading charts).

Personally, I've never used that list. In my opinion it is best to find realistic solutions, not work arounds, as far as possible. And: Simply sending pilots over because they are on some kind of list won't make them aware of the problem.