You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Workaround: VR PTT

Alec Friedman

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted

Tested AFV / XSquawkbox last night, using X-Plane and Oculus Rift. AFV wasn't allowing me to set a button on the VR controller as PTT, seemingly not registering the button. I've been able to set things up like this for XSquawkbox and PilotEdge, but AFV seems not to allow VR controllers as PTT. Does anyone know a fix for this or an alternative VATSIM client that would work? I really want to avoid using my cheap and inaccurate Logitech joystick instead of the VR controllers.

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted

Clarification: I was able to set PTT on the joystick with no problems and fly just fine with that, but as previously mentioned, would prefer to use only the VR controllers.

Gerardo Carstensen
Posted
Posted

Same here; can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it in XSB and PE, but NOT on xPilot or XSB using standalone AFV (which uses the same Settings dialog of xPilot)

Jeffrey Pang
Posted
Posted

I'm using autohotkey to emulate an "F" key that is not present on my keyboard. I use F16 - F24 for this purpose.

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted
I'm using autohotkey to emulate an "F" key that is not present on my keyboard. I use F16 - F24 for this purpose.

Thanks! And that's working fine for you?

Mind sharing your code or where to find a guide? Limited experience with AHK, no idea how I'd go about writing that.

William Clarke
Posted
Posted

Thanks! And that's working fine for you?

Mind sharing your code or where to find a guide? Limited experience with AHK, no idea how I'd go about writing that.

My AutoHotKey script is no longer working with the standalone client, even though it’s just using a Send command. Would love to see your script as well.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

All,

If you can live with the AHK workaround that would be fantastic. I have put the issue onto the issues list of things to look at once things have calmed down post launch.

Cheers

Gary

William Clarke
Posted
Posted
All,

If you can live with the AHK workaround that would be fantastic. I have put the issue onto the issues list of things to look at once things have calmed down post launch.

Cheers

Gary

I can! Thanks so much for all of the hard work, and for looking into this later!

Gerardo Carstensen
Posted
Posted

Great suggestion Thanks. Started to investigate about AutoHotKey and found this... don't know about HTC or other VRs headsets but for Oculus Rift it's working...

I post the link:

It's relatively easy, just check the included examples and customize to your preference.

Glad it's now on the planned features list for xPilot!

Cheers

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted
I post the link:

It's relatively easy, just check the included examples and customize to your preference.

Set up as instructed, but it's still not registering for me. I can open a text docomeent and see that pressing the PTT I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned is sending the correct key input, but AFV still isn't registering it. Did you get it working? If so, how?

Gerardo Carstensen
Posted
Posted
I post the link:

Set up as instructed, but it's still not registering for me. I can open a text docomeent and see that pressing the PTT I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned is sending the correct key input, but AFV still isn't registering it. Did you get it working? If so, how?

Great, that's the first step, checking with a text doc. I'm not sure why it isn't working, but try this:

(I did all this without the helmet)

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign FIRST the PTT key on xPilot settings by PHYSICALLY pressing that key on the keyboard.

Connect to VATSIM.

Leave the xPilot window visible to check Tx status.

With the focus on X-Plane window (aircraft battery ON, radios ON) try the PTT.

Hope it helps

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted
I post the link:

Great, that's the first step, checking with a text doc. I'm not sure why it isn't working, but try this:

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign FIRST the PTT key on xPilot settings by PHYSICALLY pressing that key on the keyboard.

Connect to VATSIM.

Hope it helps

I was testing with XSquawkbox/AFV, with no Tx indication. I'll try with XPilot when I get a chance.

William Clarke
Posted
Posted
I post the link:

Connect to VATSIM.

Hope it helps

I have also found with some other programs (e.g. Teamspeak) that I have to have the focus *not* on the program in order to have it receive the keypress via the “Send, “ command from AutoHotKey. I thought I tried focusing on a different program and had the AFV standalone client still not recognize the keypress, but I will have to verify tonight.

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted

Tested in xPilot, still no response to the VR controller.

Alec Friedman
Posted
Posted

Update: It works!

Managed to get the PTT working with xPilot using the AHK shortcut with the Rift controller. It doesn't register if X-Plane is the "focused" window on the desktop, but if I have it set to enter text in a notepad, the TX works on xPilot!