You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Audio Codec for linux mint 19.2

Vincenzo Rimola

Vincenzo Rimola
Posted
Posted

Hi, i downloaded the new audio codec and i followed the instructions to run on linux.

I have linux mint 19.2

I can't run successfully the codec neither with wine neither with playonlinux.

System reports: Audio for Vatsim crashed.

What can I do?

Thank's for help.

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted
Hi, i downloaded the new audio codec and i followed the instructions to run on linux.

There are instructions on how to use the standalone app with Linux? Can you point me to them please?

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Hello!

As a pilot you have the option of using Swift Alpha right now (https://dev.swift-project.org/phame/post/view/17/swift_and_afv/) or xSquakwbox when Chris and the team finish off their native AFV build.

We (AFV Team) cannot provide support for controllers using the standalone on Linux as all VATSIM controller clients are for windows.

However I know a few in the community did have some luck under wine, and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed us these instructions :-

1. Install brew (https://brew.sh/)

2. Download AFV installer and save it somewhere.

3. Install wine via brew ( brew install wine )

4. Install winetricks via brew ( brew install winetricks )

5. Create a wineprefix ( mkdir ~/.wine/ && mkdir ~/.wine/afv && WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/afv wineboot --init )

6. Install .NetFramework 4.7.2 ( WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/afv winetricks dotnet472 ) warning: It might take a really long time, because it must firstly install previous versions

7. WINEPREFIX= ~/.wine/afv wine

8. Install normally.

9. WINEPREFIX= ~/.wine/afv wine pathtoinstalledAFV

Known bugs (as for after testing it for 10 minutes):

1. You need to have focused the window in order to use keyboard shortcut

The walkaround is to use a controller with a button - then you don't have this limitation.

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead

Hubert Okon
Posted
Posted

^

This guide is specifically for macOS.

The only difference is the way you install wine & winetricks. To this - use your distro package manager (aptitude, snap, pacman etc etc..) The rest is the same.

Use playonlinux to only install AFV stanalone.

Use wine cmd to run AFV standalone

"Audio for Vatsim crashed."

It most likely means some .net is not installed. Run winetricks dotnet472 inside wineprefix.

Please run WINEPREFIX= ~/.wine/afv winetricks list-installed and let me know what is the output of that.

The output should look like this:

nr8mSsB.png

PS.

I'd love to get those log files so I could somehow help him - could somebody DM them to me please?

Vincenzo Rimola
Posted
Posted
Hello!

As a pilot you have the option of using Swift Alpha right now (https://dev.swift-project.org/phame/post/view/17/swift_and_afv/) or xSquakwbox when Chris and the team finish off their native AFV build.

We (AFV Team) cannot provide support for controllers using the standalone on Linux as all VATSIM controller clients are for windows.

However I know a few in the community did have some luck under wine, and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed us these instructions :-

1. Install brew (https://brew.sh/)

2. Download AFV installer and save it somewhere.

3. Install wine via brew ( brew install wine )

4. Install winetricks via brew ( brew install winetricks )

5. Create a wineprefix ( mkdir ~/.wine/ && mkdir ~/.wine/afv && WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/afv wineboot --init )

6. Install .NetFramework 4.7.2 ( WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/afv winetricks dotnet472 ) warning: It might take a really long time, because it must firstly install previous versions

7. WINEPREFIX= ~/.wine/afv wine

8. Install normally.

9. WINEPREFIX= ~/.wine/afv wine pathtoinstalledAFV

Known bugs (as for after testing it for 10 minutes):

1. You need to have focused the window in order to use keyboard shortcut

The walkaround is to use a controller with a button - then you don't have this limitation.

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead

HI, Gary, I installed now swift and i connected. I hear ATC but ATC doesn't hear me. Well, the problem is that i [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned an hotkey but the hotkey doesn't work. It's like the plugin doesn't recognize or something else. I tried to calibrate my mic into audio settings but i can't understand if it works or not. The PTT lights always off.

Cheers.

Vincent.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Just check you are setting up your comms panel correctly. as per

Vincenzo Rimola
Posted
Posted

checked.

Panel it's ok

Vincenzo Rimola
Posted
Posted

Today i talked with other people and all have the same issue with linux. I think the problem is the plugin.

Fix, please.

Stuart MacIntosh 1245742
Posted
Posted

The AFV client does not work in Wine on Ubuntu in my testing either. Wine is not a practical solution anyway... I hope they don't forget about us Linux/Mac pilots :-/

Vincenzo Rimola
Posted
Posted

Another issue found this night.

Validate and Sent flightplan 5 times and ATC never received.

What's wrong?