You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Error Starting Voice Server Connection

Jonathan Clayton

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted

Hi there - thanks so much for this software. I am having trouble connecting to the voice server. I am able to connect to VATSIM and read texts in xPilot, but I am getting the following error message:

Error starting voice server connection: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8889000A

I am wondering if that's an AFV issue or an issue with my client?

Thank you

EDIT: I am using version 1.1.0.1

Norman Savigar 1363051
Posted
Posted

Identical problem for me this morning.

Sergey Popov
Posted
Posted

I get a similar error:

Error starting voice server connection: Retrieving the COM cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] factory for component with CLSID {F447B69E-1884-4A7E-8055-346F74D6EDB3} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CL[Mod - Happy Thoughts]NOTREG)).

The application also registers no input form my mic. Restarting does not help. Error pops up after choosing input and output devices.

Edit: xPilot Version 1.1.0.2

Edit2: This appears to have to do with the fact that I run an N version of Microsoft Windows - this version excludes the windows media features per default I will attempt to update the required software and will update this thread with any results.

Edit 3: The problem was indeed with my having an N edition. I downloaded the required software here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack. If the URL doesn't work then you can google "Download Windows Media Feature Pack". Don't forget to match up your windows version build.

It'd be handy if xPilot could detect the issue as the problem is not obivous. Perhaps this problem is not related to the one in the thread - if it isn't, then sorry!

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted
I get a similar error:

Error starting voice server connection: Retrieving the COM cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] factory for component with CLSID {F447B69E-1884-4A7E-8055-346F74D6EDB3} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CL[Mod - Happy Thoughts]NOTREG)).

The application also registers no input form my mic. Restarting does not help. Error pops up after choosing input and output devices.

Edit2: This appears to have to do with the fact that I run an N version of Microsoft Windows - this version excludes the windows media features per default I will attempt to update the required software and will update this thread with any results.

Edit 3: The problem was indeed with my having an N edition. I downloaded the required software here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack. If the URL doesn't work then you can google "Download Windows Media Feature Pack". Don't forget to match up your windows version build.

It'd be handy if xPilot could detect the issue as the problem is not obivous. Perhaps this problem is not related to the one in the thread - if it isn't, then sorry!

I have checked all that and I do have the Media pack. My error seems to be unrelated. It is still causing issues and I have not yet successfully connected to the voice network. I haven't seen a response from any developers, so I might move back to xSquawkBox or Swift - so that I can start flying again.

Yas9jTJ.png

Anthony Tinant-Deepak 1467
Posted
Posted

I also posted this lol

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
I get a similar error:

I have checked all that and I do have the Media pack. My error seems to be unrelated. It is still causing issues and I have not yet successfully connected to the voice network. I haven't seen a response from any developers, so I might move back to xSquawkBox or Swift - so that I can start flying again.

Yas9jTJ.png

Please remember that us developers are doing this on our free time. We don't get paid for doing this work. Bashing us developers for lack of response (especially when it hasn't even been a full 24 hours since your original post) is a bit absurd. Needless to say, we have our hands quite full at the moment and we're doing our best to get through everyone's issues.

What audio device are you using? Is it a USB or 3.5mm analog device? Does xPilot list the audio device in the audio section in the settings?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted
I get a similar error:

Yas9jTJ.png

Please remember that us developers are doing this on our free time. We don't get paid for doing this work. Bashing us developers for lack of response (especially when it hasn't even been a full 24 hours since your original post) is a bit absurd. Needless to say, we have our hands quite full at the moment and we're doing our best to get through everyone's issues.

What audio device are you using? Is it a USB or 3.5mm analog device? Does xPilot list the audio device in the audio section in the settings?

Please don't misconstrue my statement for bashing the developers. I was simply saying that I hadn't heard anything so that I was going to switch so I could start flying again. I completely understand that you do this for free (I volunteer my time for online endeavors as well - although not to this level) and I understand how precious time is. Me moving to something else to get flying is not a slight on you, it's simply a solution to a problem until such time as the bugs with this are worked out. I like and appreciate this software over the alternatives and will cross my fingers that at some point I can use it. Sometimes it's easy to misread emotions/intentions when it is just words on the screen.

In answer to your question, it is a USB device and it is listed in the audio section in settings. The mic works (xPilot registers it when testing), as well as the speakers (I can hear the squelch sound whenever someone sends a text message in xPilot). I appreciate your time.

Mike Becker 1199239
Posted
Posted

When starting the app and when connecting to VATSIM, I also receive this error:

"Error starting voice server connection: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8889000A

When I setup my audio hardware, the peak level indicator doesn't show anything when I talk. I tried 2 microphones, both are USB connected and both show up in the xPilot audio configuration).

At KDEN, I tuned to ATIS, which was active, and could not hear audio either.

I do not have the "N" version of Windows. I have 1809 and Windows Media Player is already on it (I have the media package).

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Disclaimer: I'm not a software guy, not a hardware expert, not a Windows expert. I'm just another regular guy wondering if this might help. It might, and it might not!

This solution was for another reported issue, but since it deals with microphones and Windows and ability to detect, I wonder if anyone having this issue would be interested in trying to see if this does anything to help.

1) In Windows, go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Microphone.

2) Choose your preferred setting for Allow apps to access your microphone.

3) Under Choose which apps can access your microphone, turn the individual settings for apps On or Off.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted
Disclaimer: I'm not a software guy, not a hardware expert, not a Windows expert. I'm just another regular guy wondering if this might help. It might, and it might not!

This solution was for another reported issue, but since it deals with microphones and Windows and ability to detect, I wonder if anyone having this issue would be interested in trying to see if this does anything to help.

3) Under Choose which apps can access your microphone, turn the individual settings for apps On or Off.

Still no joy. It's funny because xPilot is shown under the apps that accessed the microphone - but the last access date was the day that I installed it. It recognized the mic and the peak meter was working. Since then, I have been getting the same error message, and while the mic is recognized in the dropdown menu, it no longer registers on the peak meter and the application will not connect to the voice server.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Still no joy. It's funny because xPilot is shown under the apps that accessed the microphone - but the last access date was the day that I installed it. It recognized the mic and the peak meter was working. Since then, I have been getting the same error message, and while the mic is recognized in the dropdown menu, it no longer registers on the peak meter and the application will not connect to the voice server.

Out of curiosity, can you try the standalone AFV app and see if you have the same problem?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity, can you try the standalone AFV app and see if you have the same problem?

You're on to something - I had the same result. I got a (JIT) dialog box with the same error code, and the mic would not work. After that error, AFV will not start at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. It's obviously something to do with my mic - but the odd thing is that it works fine everywhere else (Discord, Windows Sound Settings, TD2, etc). I have checked the drivers (they are up-to-date) and I am stumped. Plus, I am confused as to why AFV won't start at all (I double-click the icon, and nothing happens - no error, no window, it doesn't even show in Task Manager).

I am going to install an updated vPilot and report my findings.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Interesting having the app hang.... Have you rebooted your computer and then tried again? If so, what are the results. If not, maybe try that.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted

So I think I have it figured out (and it was completely user error on my part).

I'll explain: I use VoiceMeeter Potato (to allow me to have multiple audio sources from two computers that are networked). It works well, but it is complicated to set up.

When I set up xPilot, when I selected the audio input/output, I thought it best to select my USB headset as the mic source and the output source since that's what I use when I fly. In my mind, byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing the complicated VoiceMeeter input/output settings made sense (even though this USB headset was also a input/output source in VoiceMeeter), as I wanted this to be separate from all of that. And it worked for the initial setup - xPilot (and AFV and vPilot) happily accepted the USB input/output sources and registered them as working. Until I closed the program and tried to restart.

It was Don who got me thinking about mic permissions and then when Justin told me to try AFV and it didn't work, I realized it had to be something to do with my audio setup. Trying it with P3D/vPilot and getting the same error code confirmed my suspicions. VoiceMeeter was (put simply) taking over the input/output duties, and to the best of my knowledge also overriding the settings in the Windows sound panel. Once I set the proper VoiceMeeter input/output settings in the programs, everything was happy and it worked again. I sat at CYYZ as an observer for about an hour last night and I can confirm that it worked.

Thanks to everyone for sticking with this thread. This is a great community full of good people, and I am grateful for that.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Jonathan,

Thanks every so much for reporting this back, I was just coming by because you reported the error with the standalone too!

We will point the FAQ to this thread.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead

Jonathan Clayton
Posted
Posted

Happy to help! Thanks to you and your team for this awesome product and software and the time you guys put into this.