You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

totally blind controler

John Sanders

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi my name is John Sanders.

I have a question: I'm totally blind and I'm not able to see.

every time I go in to the audio for vatsim client, when I'm using my text to speech reading program, it doesn't tell me whether or not the rx or tx buttons are checked or not.

How should I go about finding out whether they are checked or unchecked?

I use a text to speech reading program to help me in reading the text that appears on the screen.

I also find this one button that has the letters XC. what do those letters stand for?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi John, I'll bring this issue over to the Development Desk, so we can hopefully help you out.

XC stands for crosscoupling

Regards,

Me.

Mark Barnes
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

Which screen reading program do you use? If there is a free version, we can get the developer to try using it when they look at improving the accessibility.

Regards,

Mark

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

John,

After you connect to euroscope in the usual way, open and connect the Audio For VATSIM standalone client.

This will automatically tick the TX and RX buttons for your position. You will not need to use XC unless doing Center positions.

Hopefully your screen reading program reads 'Transceivers:' 1 (or any number above 0)

If it does that then you can safely [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume they are ticked and you are connected to voice.

Happy to chat in UK Teamspeak at some point soon if you get stuck.

Cheers

Gary

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I use two different screen readers.

The first one is free.

Its called NVDA Non visual desktop access.

The other one I use is called jaws (job access with speech). Its a screen reader that is payware.

I have a question: I use vrc for connecting. whenever I try to connect to the afv server in the vrc application, I get disconnected. how should I go about connecting to that particular server?

In the settings window, in the AFV Client, what should the IP address be set to when doing atc controlling?

Sincerely,

John Sanders

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

In VRC, you connect to the VATSIM network the same way you always have. Just pick one of the servers in the server list, such as USA-EAST.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

John,

You can leave the IP address box blank for controlling.

Can you confirm the transceivers count label is read via your screen reading software. This could be a good workaround until I get time to test it.

Thanks

Gary

John Sanders
Posted
Posted

Hi,

The transceiver count is not readable by my screen reading program no.

Sincerely,

John Sanders