You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

callsign

Anthony Shepherd 967652

Anthony Shepherd 967652
Posted
Posted

how do you get a callsign? I want to "observe" the salt lake area but I dont know how.

help

thanks

Jay Hsu 926068
Posted
Posted

You don't necessarily "get" a callsign unless you are with a Virtual Airline. A callsign is simply the identification you appear under radar and to other planes. You can go ahead and make any callsign you want, but if you are just observing I suggest you use a civil aviation callsign... starting with an "N"... example "N237G9".

Jay Hsu

ZME ARTCC

VATPRC Resource Manager

http://www.vatprc.net

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted
how do you get a callsign? I want to "observe" the salt lake area but I dont know how.

For observing, I would say use the area you are observing, in this case Salt Lake [ZLC], your initials [AS], and since you're observing [OBS]. Put em together and you get ZLC_AS_OBS or just ZLC_AS. This type of callsign seems to be the norm for people observing, but you can use whatever you'd like as long as it's not vulgar or disruptive to ATC.

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Personally unless your a member of the ARTCC/FIR, I woudn't use the ARTCC initials because if your initials happend to be the same as a controller, then the controller would not be able to use his OBS callsign as they are unique.

For example if you logged in as ZLC_AS_OBS, and Salt Lake had a controller with his/her operating initials AS, then they wouldn't be able to connect.

I would just go with your initials and OBS (AS_OBS) and your good to go!

Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Jo Keeler 892070
Posted
Posted

Madafaka?

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted
Madafaka?

As old as that is getting...

Got Sup?

pilot.gif

3712.png

Jay Hsu 926068
Posted
Posted

Christ. I thought you wanted to observe as a pilot! I had no indication. lol

Disregard my post if that's the case!

Jay Hsu

ZME ARTCC

VATPRC Resource Manager

http://www.vatprc.net

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
Christ. I thought you wanted to observe as a pilot! I had no indication. lol

Disregard my post if that's the case!

LOL! I guess I should look at the forum I'm in before posting!!!

Jay is correct, my response was if you were logging on to observe from a controllers client!! I'm bad!!!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Joshua Ridderhoff 873800
Posted
Posted
Personally unless your a member of the ARTCC/FIR, I woudn't use the ARTCC initials because if your initials happend to be the same as a controller, then the controller would not be able to use his OBS callsign as they are unique.

For example if you logged in as ZLC_AS_OBS, and Salt Lake had a controller with his/her operating initials AS, then they wouldn't be able to connect.

I would just go with your initials and OBS (AS_OBS) and your good to go!

Cheers!

Actually, I don't think ZLC has anybody with initials "AS" at the moment, so that shouldn't be a problem -- either one (ZLC_AS_OBS or AS_OBS) would be fine IMHO.

{ Edit: Actually, I guess we do technically have an "AS" on the roster... but I don't remember the last time I saw that person online (been many moons) so you're still fine! }

Anthony, give us a holler over in the ZLC Forums (see my sig for a link) if you've got any questions about Salt Lake (City | ARTCC | restaurants | what have you)... be happy to help you out!

/s/ Josh Ridderhoff

ZLC Senior Controller

Fly ZLC! | ZLC Pilot & Controller Forums