You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Beginning on Vatsim - what do I need?

Michal Krol 1467192

Michal Krol 1467192
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I'm in aviation for few years, and I have the FSX Steam Edition sim. I wanted to take my simulation to a higher level, so on Steam I bought Aerosoft A320 (my favourite aircraft). Then I thought that maybe I'll start my Vatsim pilot career.

I know all phraseology, how to communicate etc. But my problem is: what I need?

Is it required to have advanced, payware weather adddon (like ActiveSky)? I have free FSXWX, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Also, do I need some sort of ground services addon? I think that default FSX pushback may make some problems (ATC would not be happy if it'll push me to gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]), so do I need, for example, GSX?

With AS A320 I have nav database from 2015, so many SIDs and STARs are out-of-date. Also, airways, intersections, waypoints and radio navaids... All are as they were in 2015. Do I need Navigraph (or NavDataPro) payware, up-to-date database or that from 2015 will be OK?

It's also a problem with the scenery. I don't want to buy many sceneries for every airport I want to fly, but I know that there might be some problems with taxiing on freeware sceneries... Do I need to buy airport sceneries to taxi properly without problems?

So, as a new to Vatsim, I don't know how the things are, if all simmers have that all payware addons, or is it OK to have some things outdated. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Michal

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Hi Michal - Welcome to VATSIM!

No, you do NOT have to have a payware weather addon. I do not know, if FSXWX can retrieve VATSIM weather, but all you'll have to do is to tell ATC, if you are unable to follow his directions (in this case due to weather), and he'll try to work out a solution with you. BUT it is nice to have real weather - and much easier for the controller as well.

No you do not need to have any ground service addon. FSX will do nicely.

As for current navigation database - this is not required by VATSIM. You'l need to tell the controller that you are unable to follow the sid/star and he'll give you vectors. However, if you buy a sofisticated piece of plane, it's a pity you can't use the database you have - so it might be a good idea to prioritize FMC database as well.

No, you do not need to buy addon scenery - but it is for sure much easier for you and the controller, if you have.

So as for requirements - VATSIM does not require you to buy addons. Do so, when you feel you have the money and need for it. You can't buy every addon, so again prioritize.

My personal priorities:

1. Weather addon

2. Database update

3. Scenery

a) my "home" airports (flying for several virtual airlines, I have several "home" airports

b) airports on my VAs routenet

c) surrounding scenery

Have fun in the sky!!

Torben

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Michal Krol 1467192
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Torben!

Yeah, FSXWX is simulating real world weather, so I don't have to think about weather anymore.

Thank you for help, now I know that default FSX p/b is enough.

With sceneries, I will download some freewares (everything's bether than FSX's 2006 airports) or demo versions of paywares.

Only problem is navigation database but, as you said before, if I won't be able to follow some SIDs/STARs, I will report that to ATC.

So,I'm now ready - I will soon fly my first flight on Vatsim - wish me luck!

Thanks for a lot of information.

Cheers,

Michal

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You can get SOMEWHAT of an updated nav database for free here: https://www.aero.sors.fr/

But, having an aircraft with a full FMC and current nav data sure makes things a lot easier.

Or, you can always do what I usually do -- forget the FMC altogether and navigate by radio alone.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Hi Michal, welcome to Vatsim. To answer your question - apart from the technical side you will need a lot of patience

• 2 years later...
Cenda Hoang
Posted
Posted
On 10/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

You can get SOMEWHAT of an updated nav database for free here: https://www.aero.sors.fr/

But, having an aircraft with a full FMC and current nav data sure makes things a lot easier.

Or, you can always do what I usually do -- forget the FMC altogether and navigate by radio alone.

Hi Rob,

Did you mean by only listen to receive ATC instruction of all flight (even with IFR) with "navigate by radio alone"?

Thanks,

Hoang

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Cenda Hoang said:

Hi Rob,

Did you mean by only listen to receive ATC instruction of all flight (even with IFR) with "navigate by radio alone"?

Thanks,

Hoang

I guess by VOR/NDB.

ACH2118.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

I guess by VOR/NDB.

Lauri has it correct.

Cheers,
-R.