You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSinn Voice Fails/Vpilot Not a Good Option

Erwin Michael 1081376

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

I was using FSinn with FSX. It worked without me pushing the AFV connect button, not if I pushed the button. Then I received a message to update AFV. I did, now no voice whatsoever no matter what I do. At times tells me to configure my flight simulator. Nothing works. I downloaded Vpilot. The biggest letdown ever. Yeah, it works BUT....... Vpilot cannot be seen in full screen like FSinn, which also has a radar system and other things Vpilot does not have. Alt/Tab to switch back and forth is a folly and unreasonable. Just because Vpilot is newer, does not mean it is better. For those wanting to fly in window mode, I guess it is okay but I am a full-screen man for a bit more realism instead of looking at it as a computer game. After thousands of hours flying on Vatsim, I am now left to going back to only text with FSinn, which I am told will not be usable on the network in the future. I commend the hard work and dedication of those with Vatsim who worked hard to better the voice system. But I'm afraid it was a mistake implementing it and it is biting a whole lot of us in the backside. When FSinn will no longer connect, if that is the case, I will have lost my one and only favorite hobby. And those poor FS9 pilots who found themselves, as I understand it, out in the cold. Maybe the old way was better. Maybe we should go back to the way it was, fix the AFV, and be allowed to keep the "old" FSinn.

Logan Waldman
Posted
Posted

Hi Erwin,

Sorry to hear that AFV isn't working for you. Just a couple of sanity check questions real quick. In the Audio for Vatsim standalone client, are you sure you have correctly configured the output device and volume (I only ask this because you updated it and there is the off chance your settings were wiped). Also, if you are on a busy frequency, do you see the RX light light up on the standalone client? If you don't I have no idea what to do, but at least we would have a starting point.

(Also re: vPilot. I know there is something to be said about getting used to a program and not wanting to switch it out for something newer (I'd know), but if you want to give vPilot another chance, under the miscellaneous settings, there is a "Keep window visible" tick mark that should at least keep it on top of your simulator. I know it's only one of the many features you are getting back, but in a worst case scenario, it could help)

NYARTCC Community Manager

spacer.png

Marinos Klouras
Posted
Posted

Why don't you try Swift?

Marinos Klouras

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses.

Everything appeared configured correctly. Tried the keep visible button but it did not keep visible. Will try again. I tried to size the vPilot window smaller and it would not and took up a lot of space. Nothing on the RX light.

I might try Swift but I think I read it would be discontinued later.

When I do a re-install, I make sure the old program is completely deleted out including any leftover files including entries in the registry. Well....gonna work on it again.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Calling Bill Casey... our resident FSINN with AFV expert!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Just a couple clarification points:

FSInn will not be discontinued in a few months because no one likes it. It will be discontinued because the server infrastructure will be dramatically improved, but, no one is around who still has the source code to FSInn to make it compatible with the changes. In a previous post I likened it to wanting to use your old Nokia flip-phone on a modern 5G network. You might love that phone, but, eventually if the network is upgraded that awesome old equipment just won't work anymore and you'll have to bite the bullet and get a smartphone -- even if it has too many features and is too complicated to set up without help.

Speaking of which -- Swift. (LOL.) You say it ill be discontinued. Incorrect. It's a new and actively-supported and developed client. A bit of a bear to set up and get running (in my opinion), but, should be among useful pilot clients for the forseeable future, and they have a radar/TCAS-like screen in it, I'm pretty sure. They already have a pre-beta version out which runs the new voice system without needing a separate program.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

Since my last comment, I've deleted the client, cleaned out residue files, and reinstalled. Tried to make FSinn work. Kept saying it was the configuration. Failed

Did a clean and fresh install of vPilot. Was able to connect. Unable to see vPilot in full screen. Unable to switch from FSX to vPilot for, as when I did, FSX would not come back up.

Using Windows 10 if that makes a difference. Apparently I have Swift to try and if that fails I guess I'll be out of luck.

Thanks for correcting my misinformation. Guess I read it wrong.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
Calling Bill Casey... our resident FSINN with AFV expert!

As if by magic, with one bound he arrives! Amazing that innit Gazza?!

Erwin, I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that FSInn does work with AFV, I've been using it for a while now. If your FSinn is setup and connecting ok then all you should need to do is connect it and then connect the AFV standalone client (you DID install the right one yes? Sorry for the stupid question). The AFV client should report back to you the callsign that you have connected FSInn with. If it's not working then it is almost certainly something amiss in the AFV setup UNLESS you have changed something in FSInn like disable VVL for example, you don't need to amend a working FSInn at all (confession: that threw me at first!).

What I havn't tested is with FSInn networked over two machines but giving AFV the IP of the client machine should be all that's needed, if that doesn't work then try the other machine.

Btw, I share you frustrations with the alternatives

Bill Casey

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Swift is a bit difficult to get working, but, they have an excellent live-support team, which you can reach easily on their Discord channel -- https://discordapp.com/invite/R7Atd9A

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

Mr. Casey,

Pretty sure I did everything right but I am going to start over from scratch one more time. And maybe another time. I will delete everything out, make sure all residue files are gone, make sure the registry has nothing left in it. Download again, install and go from there. If that fails I have an idea. THANKS for working to help me!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Erwin, would it be an option for you to run vPilot on a separate machine, like a laptop? That's what a lot of FSX full screen users do. The requirements are so lightweight that any old Windows laptop will do. (As long as it can run .NET framework 4.7, which is available on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

It sounds like a great idea except if I cannot get it to connect on A where the sim is installed, how am I going to get it to connect to A from B (laptop)?

And now the Vatsim connect and PTT sound has disappeared even when activated in FSinn. To tell you the truth, sometimes the aggravation just makes it not worth it. And if I had to do some elaborate changing of things in the computer or laptop to make it work, it just ain't worth it and it shouldn't have to be that way. New is not always better. Sometimes, not always. Sometimes change is good, sometimes not. And after a year or so, from what I've read, the only client to use will be vPilot. Vatsim has provided me countless hours of enjoyment through the years and I'm very thankful to Vatsim for that. I've got between 7,500 to 7,600 hours with Vatsim. Now that I'm retired I really enjoyed waking up in the morning, getting a cup of coffee, and doing a flight online. But now I'm frustrated over the situation. I suppose the vPilot people did not have too much of a problem. I wonder how many of everyone else did. Why did it have to be that way?

I used to enjoy traveling to compete in "pool" tournaments. But as time p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed I knew I would have to give it up and just recently I did my last one. Lasted six days. Competed in three events. Placed 8th, lost one event, and place 5th in another. I now feel that way about online flying and darn it, offline does nothing for me so I guess it is about time for me to give it up to and darn, I spent all that money on REX products and a few other things when I could have used that money to buy me a bunch of V8 and Geritol.

I think I will fly online and text-only and when it won't be feasible anymore to things being "new and improved" I'll take up another hobby. All of you are great people for reaching out to help!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
It sounds like a great idea except if I cannot get it to connect on A where the sim is installed, how am I going to get it to connect to A from B (laptop)?

I'm confused. You said vPilot worked fine, you just couldn't use it because of the full screen issue.

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Any time you need any help moving your sim experience over to something much less complicated give us a shout. This is all very easy to solve with a 10 minute chat.

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

I got very confused during the hours I spent messing with it today. I'm sorry. I guess I got lost a bit.

Yes, Vpilot worked. (I couldn't get the AVF (whatever) voice addon to work in FSInn.) But in full screen when I switched from FSX over to use Vpilot I could not go back to FSX. So yes, I could use Vpilot and I could run Vpilot on a laptop. I will just need to chat in order to do that. Not today. Maybe tomorrow or later. I will come back and see if help is available. Now, going to go get a V8.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
Mr. Casey,

Pretty sure I did everything right but I am going to start over from scratch one more time. And maybe another time. I will delete everything out, make sure all residue files are gone, make sure the registry has nothing left in it. Download again, install and go from there. If that fails I have an idea. THANKS for working to help me!

On the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption that you're starting with a fully working and Vatsim connected FSInn then the settings within AFV are a bit crucial. What were your symptoms of "not working"? AFV not connecting (check to see if it's reporting back the correct callsign) or just a lack of sound?

If it's not connecting then ensure you've put 127.0.0.1 in the IP field and your PID/P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word are correct (obvious, I know, sorry) and that really should be it. As I said, it should report back the callsign you connected FSInn with, does it do that?

If it's just a lack of sound then obviously make sure you've selected the right sound devices, the same as you have set in FSInn. You MUST check the volumes in the AFV client, I found them to be very low in the default settings and could barely hear ATC. Mine are now well wound up!

NOTE: you will no longer hear the beep on successfully connecting voice. At first that was disconcerting and I wasn't sure I'd connected because I was so used to hearing that beep. It's just not there anymore so don't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume your connection failed. You don't hear the beep on changing frequencies either which is again disconcerting but I now have confidence that it's just worked.

Bill Casey

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It also requires that your simulated radios have power. I don't remember whether FSInn monitored avionics state or not, but, with your pretend radios off the AFV client radio simulation will also be off.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

I found how to run Vpilot on a separate computer. One is the host and on the same as the sim. The other is the remote. I am working on it now and will see how it goes.

Erwin Michael 1081376
Posted
Posted

Got it working! I think. Went online and found instructions. I installed Vpilot and made it the host on the sim computer. Installed and made it the remote with the voice on the laptop. Lots of fun finding the ip address. Finally was able to text and talk to PDX Approach, listen to PDX Atis, but nothing from the tower who disconnected quickly so I believe he was busy and in a hurry to leave so that was probably working as well. Will try my first flight tomorrow.

I sincerely appreciate all of you for eagerly responding to help me.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Lots of fun finding the ip address.

When you run vPilot in host mode, it shows you the IP address(es) for the computer. Did you not see that? I probably need to add that to the docs.

Glad you got it sorted out.