You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

IPv6 Support?

Fabio Miguel 1394656

Fabio Miguel 1394656
Posted
Posted

Does AFV support IPv6 connection? As I wrote in this topic (https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=158&t=79955), there are some ISP which is providing a shared public IPv4 through CGNAT and it's not possible to do port forwarding. Although, my ISP provides me an unique IPv6 too. Is there any way to connect to AFV servers through IPv6?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Wladimir Carvalho
Posted
Posted (edited)

Same here, voice server on VATSIM only with VPN. IPV6 Support PLZ!

Edited by Wladimir Carvalho

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know the slightest thing about IPv6, but, from what I remember reading, there's no longer a requirement / recommendation for port forwarding under AFV like there was under the previous voice system.  AFV maintains a nearly-constant data connection between the AFV client and the voice server, negating the need to keep a port open for incoming radio traffic after a period of silence.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jason Cochran
Posted
Posted

Right you are, Mr. Shearman. But... unfortunately, these guys are asking about a different thing. What you are talking about is related to how traffic is passed from a home router to the PC where the client is running. They are asking about how their home internet presents to the outside world. 

IPv4 address is something like 70.50.20.30
IPv6 address is something like 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

As you can probably infer, there are many, many more available IPv6 addresses than IPv4.

You and I have a publicly-facing IPv4 address. It's not dedicated to us (unless we pay for a dedicated IP), but it is ours and ours only.  That means when VATSIM (or anything else) wants to send traffic to us, they send it to 70.50.20.30, then our home network figures out what to do with it (this is where the port forwarding used to come into play).

Now, I did not know this until reading this article (but should have been able to guess), apparently some internet service providers are already restricting IPv4 addresses to their customers. These guys are saying that their ISP assigned them a unique IPv6 address, but are forcing them to share IPv4 address with other ISP customers. That doesn't work with the voice servers, apparently. 

To work around this, it sounds like they are forced to buy and pay for a VPN so that they can have a dedicated IPv4 address. Now, I don't know much about IPv6, but if AFV supported that protocol they could connect directly to it. 

Now is the time I'm thankful I don't use the ISP they are using. I'm assuming these must be small ISPs in other parts of the world where IPv4 allocations are difficult to obtain?

Connor Faulder
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't have my own public IP address as my ISP uses CGNAT and have no issues using VATSIM or AfV.

As far as I understand it, if someone has access to an IPv4 address, even if they're behind ISP NATs, they should still be able to use VATSIM.

Are there any ISPs that offer IPv6 only? I'm not aware of any. That doesn't sound like a very useful service at the moment. 

Edited by Connor Faulder

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yep, I was aware that I was only partially answering the question  🙂   I posted anyway, because I wasn't sure if the "port forwarding" was the MAIN issue or a secondary one.  I figured if they knew they didn't have to worry about port forwarding, the IPv4 vs IPv6 question might become a moot point.

It didn't, I guess.  Oh well -- sorry 😞

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png