You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Suggestions for a better HF Simulation

Brendan Ratchford

Brendan Ratchford
Posted
Posted

I noticed crossing the pond today (really awesome job to all the controllers, had quite a quick departure out of BOS!)- the HF was very accurate sound-wise while someone was transmitting. However, the "problem" of HF is the constant interference one gets when tuned to the frequency and listening. These pops, statics, pings (as well as everyone else talking) is why the advent of CPDLC and SELCAL is so wonderful.

For HF frequencies, would it be possible to inject that background static sound constantly- not just when someone is transmitting?

Also- the CPDLC position reports worked very well for this cross the pond (referring to https://nattrak.vatsim.net/) - however, I would suggest the addition of a free-text/comments section at the bottom. The user could input things (deviating for wx, back on route, able FL380/400 etc...)

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
For HF frequencies, would it be possible to inject that background static sound constantly- not just when someone is transmitting?

Glad you liked the HF simulation! Yes, the plan is that in a future update there will be a user-selectable level of 'HFness' -- fully realistic (i.e. permanent static with no squelch), semi-realistic (i.e. with a squelch between transmissions like it is currently) and no effects.

Re: CPDLC - I'm not involved with the development of the Nattrak tool at all, but my comment would be that CPDLC messages in real life are tightly formatted and can (AFAIK) only be selected from a predefined list - I don't think there is a 'free text' option (ACARS telex messages are different).

Vice President, Pilot Training

Brendan Ratchford
Posted
Posted

Amazing! You guys definitely brought it to the next level this year.

*CPDLC messages do have a preformatted "script" when dealing with clearances- but there is also a free text option to send. If you need any pictures I can snap a few at work tomorrow. Within the clearance dialog there's also a prompt to enter "remarks" such as "able higher after 30W" or something like that.

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

This is actually an anti-feature! All voice radios have white noise when there is no/weak signal, it is only because of the squelch function that you don't normally have to listen to it. However, squelch tends to make life more difficult when you are in fact dealing with weak signals, hence why it tends to not be used for aviation HF. Most airline pilots don't end up listening for the white noise for hours on end because they go on SELCAL watch.

David Zhong

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

The CPDLC clients at Hoppie have these functions already. I'm still looking for someone who will create a gauge/plugin for FSX/P3D/X-Plane so we all have integrated CPDLC functions.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is actually an anti-feature! All voice radios have white noise when there is no/weak signal, it is only because of the squelch function that you don't normally have to listen to it. However, squelch tends to make life more difficult when you are in fact dealing with weak signals, hence why it tends to not be used for aviation HF. Most airline pilots don't end up listening for the white noise for hours on end because they go on SELCAL watch.

How would this be an anti-feature? Seems like it would make it more realistic. Pilots would need to turn down the volume on HF just like real pilots do.

The problem, as I see it, is that we don't have separate volume controls for each radio, plus it isn't easy to control the volume for your headset separately from other sounds on the computer. It's doable, just not quick and easy.

Perhaps the pilot client could have a button to mute the HF frequency ... and/or make it so that you can toggle the muting with a yoke button, for those that don't have the pilot client window readily accessible at all times.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
The CPDLC clients at Hoppie have these functions already. I'm still looking for someone who will create a gauge/plugin for FSX/P3D/X-Plane so we all have integrated CPDLC functions.

I'm actually hoping the VATSIM techs will get together with the major add-on devs and find a way to integrate it from the aircraft...

Trevor Hannant

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
The problem, as I see it, is that we don't have separate volume controls for each radio, plus it isn't easy to control the volume for your headset separately from other sounds on the computer. It's doable, just not quick and easy.

Perhaps the pilot client could have a button to mute the HF frequency ... and/or make it so that you can toggle the muting with a yoke button, for those that don't have the pilot client window readily accessible at all times.

I think in the grand scheme of things (as always subject to change ) the broad plan was to introduce this along with split mixers for the different radios (so the level of each radio can be adjusted independently) and audio SELCAL -- so in principle pilot clients could certainly have that button or other ability to quickly adjust the volume for the HF/other radios.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Brendan Ratchford
Posted
Posted

Ha! I guess it’s not the biggest fish to fry. I did notice the difference in interference when I was on the simulated HF compared to VHF transmissions. It was very good!

I don’t monkey with the USB/off switches in the aircraft HF tuner, and the “HF SENS” knob is usually turned fully on. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty (isn’t that what we were , upon tuning to a new HF frequency when you key the mic you’ll hear a loud tone as the receiver tunes to the new frequency.

Here’s a pic of the FMS ATC Page from my flight today. I utilize Hoppie’s acars in p3d, but the adoption has been spotty on VATSIM (pretty much using text gets the same job done).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_LtaVHx1KVzJgauZdQpuljEIzFeY1qV/view?usp=drivesdk