You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Windows XP not working with new AFV audio system

William Kis

William Kis
Posted
Posted

I have Windows XP. However, it will not work with the AFV audio system because the Win32 application is not supported. Any suggestions?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Do you not have any other PC with a newer version of Windows (7, 8.1 or above)?

The standalone/clients DON'T need to run in the same PC as the simulator.

Me.

William Kis
Posted
Posted

Of course I do . However, I love my Windows XP and it hasn't broken down. Its not a big deal at all. I just thought that there were other alternatives to use the AFV system.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hahaha, it's fine! You can still run your sim in the XP machine and just run the client on another -not outdated- one

Me.

William Kis
Posted
Posted

Oh ok. I see what you are saying. Thanks. I can just get a chromebook for that purpose

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Oh ok. I see what you are saying. Thanks. I can just get a chromebook for that purpose

The client software does not run on ChromeOS. It needs to be Windows.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 years later...
William Kis
Posted
Posted

So I would like to revisit this topic because I would like to get back into Vatsim. However, I cant because of the Windows XP system limitation. So, I have Flight simulator 2004, Squawkbox or FSINN, and a headset with 3.5mm audio jack installed on the Windows Xp system. On another Computer running Windows, I have AFV audio installed. All of the computers in my household are connected to a router in my household. What else should I do in order to connect to Vatsim because Even though I tried to connect to AFV audio using my login credentials on the Windows 7 machine and on Squawkbox on my Windows XP, I cant connect for voice. Can someone help me out?

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

FSINN and squawkbox are no longer supported, you will have to use swift. I don't know if swift supports WinXP, but it is your best (and only) bet.

William Kis
Posted
Posted

I did use Squawbox not long ago. I believe it still works.

William Kis
Posted
Posted

But can I use Swift on a Windows 7 machine and have Flight Simulator 2004 running on another machine running Windows XP?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, William Kis said:

I did use Squawbox not long ago. I believe it still works.

Believe what you want to believe, but, it doesn't.  It was not updated when the VATSIM FSD server protocol was updated (AKA "Velocity" was rolled out) in January of this year.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

William Kis
Posted
Posted

But can I use Swift on a Windows 7 machine and have Flight Simulator 2004 running on another machine running Windows XP?

William Kis
Posted
Posted

Oh ok. It seems like it might have worked although I do recall having issues with Squawkbox not connecting at all. 

William Kis
Posted
Posted

Well it looks like I will have to upgrade my Operation system to Windows 7 or higher although that wont happen because my beloved Windows XP is working wonderfully. What a shame.