You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

visually impaired pilots

Declan  Webster 1418456

Declan  Webster 1418456
Posted
Posted

Hi. Looking for some advice on something. There is a small group of blind flight sim enthusiasts who have been flying on vatsim for a while. We use a bit of software called fs tramp to fly (it is basically an addon autopilot that allows us to control the aircraft since we can't access the main fmc or systems with a normal screenreader). In short, we can operate the plane just fine in the air, the only thing we can't do is taxi. We have to start on a stand and then spawn to the runway with the controllers permission. Most controllers are very helpful, and simply wait until the runway is free and then we spawn and takeoff as normal. A few controllers have objected however, I expect because it does say no spawning in the code of conduct. However, we don't have much choice as there is no software that can accurately taxi for us totally blind pilots. Is there anything that could be done to let controllers know that there may be a few blind pilots requesting this. We are perfectly happy to wait for a majority of the traffic to get out before us, but the spawning itself should not cause any real disruption as we are just skipping the taxi part. Not sure how much you can help with this but anything would be greatly appreciated. We enjoy using vatsim and it is frustrating to have your flight stopped before we get off the ground, even though we are fine in the air.

Thanks, Declan

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Hi Declan,

Firstly I have to say I think it is fantastic that you and others refuse to have something like this stand in your way.

In regards to the controllers who struggle to accept that not everybody has the luxury of sight and yet use flight simulator, they ultimately are the ones losing out on the experience. It should just be a case of either letting you skip the queue or be in a position to slot you guys in at your new start point at a more appropriate time. This should not just be same old story every departure. The changes and challenges should be grasped by all. The Code of Conduct is quite explicit about the inclusion of others.

Should you find a member who is not willing to be inclusive please feel free to email me directly [email protected] so that I can p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it along to their respective Divisions so that they can be educated and more importantly gain from the experiences.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Declan  Webster 1418456
Posted
Posted

Hi. Thanks so much for the help, really great to hear that all controllers should be inclusive to us blind pilots as well. It's certainly been a learning curve with all the software we use to fly but vatsim was the ultimate goal and really enjoying it for the most part. The majority of controllers have been really great, but I'll certainly drop you a line if I encounter any further issues with spawning to runways.

Declan.