You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift Pilot Client Help

Joshua Moore 1373183

Joshua Moore 1373183
Posted
Posted

hello. I use FS2004 and always used squawkbox, however it seems that they have discontinued support for It with the new voice codecs and all. I went to download the only other client available for FS2004, this being Swift. I have to say that the VATSIM Pilot Client installation absolutely SUCKS. the info is all over the place and it seems VATSIM has forgotten about FS2004. I am having issues with getting the stupid thing to recognize the sim and in the configuration it won't let me choose FS2004, with the check box greyed out. I just want to fly and not screw around all the time with a Pilot Client that looks and works like it comes from outer space. Please help me figure out this beautiful mess VATSIM has created. I am out of other options. thanks

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

Have you look into Vpilot? it is very simple to setup and use.

Joshua Moore 1373183
Posted
Posted

I use FS2004, and as far as I've heard, Vpilot only works with FSX and P3D

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Joshua,

1) make sure you download and install the 32bit-version of swift, only this one will work with FS9

2) I have created a video tutorial about the first steps for swift with X-Plane 11 and Windows 10, but it should be similar to FS9, check it out:

If you need further help, please shout here or on our Discord server, we'll do our best to get you set up!

Jimmy Phillips 1346092
Posted
Posted

Agree wholeheartedly with the Poster.

At 74 I'm not up to reading, reading, installing, installing, etc

This needs to be made simple. Don't say its an easy installation, cause it's not. I'm above average, however I'm not a computer/software programmer etc., and the terminlogy shouldn't be expected to be comprehended by the above average population. Little instructions that amount to a hell of beans cooked. I have figured out finally to let the program do its thing even tho it's not indicated that's working.

When will I know I am complete?

Haven't been on VATSIM IN PROBABLY 6 MONTHS. ALL OF A SUDDEN SQUAWKBOX WAS GONE AND UNABLE TO LOG IN ANYMORE. THIS IS ALMOST MORE THAN CAN BE TOLERATED BY MOST PEOPLE. VATSIM, HA, HA, HA, REALLY NOW?

Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Jimmy, you say SquawkBox is gone, but that's not quite true *yet* (though it will be soon). In the meantime, it got a small stay of execution. You can still run SB as long as you run the AFV standalone client in parallel.

The main page you'd find this out is the page that was in the email that every VATSIM member got explaining the Audio for VATSIM change: audio.vatsim.net

Normally, you'd click on the big "Update my Software" button and select SquawkBox from the menu. As a courtesy, I've included the direct link here: https://audio.vatsim.net/docs/2.0/pilots/fsinn-sqb

This should give you a few more weeks to either decide on trying to take on a Swift installation, or researching and upgrading your simulator (FSX Steam Edition, P3D, XPlane, etc.).

--

And if I wanted to respond in kind, which I don't, but if I did, I might say something like:

A dedicated group of people have been trying to dramatically improve VATSIM WITH THE BIGGEST, MOST IMPACTFUL TECHNOLOGICAL IMPROVEMENT TO BENEFIT OUR COMMUNITY FOR WELL OVER A YEAR. THOUSANDS OF VOLUNTEER HOURS PUT INTO IMPROVING OUR HOBBY. VATSIM TOOK THE IMPORTANT INITIATIVE TO SEND AN EMAIL TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR MEMBERS WITH A TON OF INFORMATION POINTING TO WEB PAGES FULL OF INFORMATION TO MAKE SURE THE TRANSITION WAS AS EASY AS POSSIBLE. BUT SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO READ IT. THIS IS ALMOST MORE THAN CAN BE TOLERATED BY MOST PEOPLE. JIMMY, HA, HA, HA, REALLY NOW?

just a little good natured teasing, of course

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Scott D. Williams
Posted
Posted

I am flying FS9 with Squawkbox and the adjunct AFV but I am text only. Despite my mic calibrating perfectly I am not able to use voice. I plan on going to Swift soon anyway and perhaps Xplane. I also hate to terminate SB since it has been simple and efficient since I started almost 14 years ago.

I do not think many pilots are flying FS9 with SB and AFV but it does work for now at least for me.

Scott D. Williams

KMEM

Joshua Moore 1373183
Posted
Posted

thank you Andreas. I found the reason for the greyed out FS2004. I run Windows 10 64bit and when you go to download the installer it says Windows 64bit and Windows 32bit. I chose the 64bit option since that's what I run. I didn't think that that was meaning the sim type. I got it to work and will test it tonight! thank you!

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Does SWIFT and SB4 use the same Audio for VATSIM standalone client.

nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

@Joshua: great to hear that it worked, let us know how it went.

@Nebojsa: yes, but if you use swift 0.9.3 or newer, AFV will already be integrated in swift.

Joshua Moore 1373183
Posted
Posted

did a flight from SFO to Portland and it was insane. the new voice codecs are almost identical to what I hear in real life!

Sean McCormack
Posted
Posted
Perfect, thanks for your feedback!

Hopefully this doesn't sound like self-promtion because its not meant to be but I've done a tutorial on this that might be helpful for you.

Sean McCormack | Virgin Australia | i7 8700K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI | G.Skill RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ | Asus STRIX-GTX1080Ti | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000i  | Win 10 64bit | HTC Vive, HMD Odyssey, Oculus Rift-S and Pimax 5k+ | Twitch twitch.tv/djsean00 | Youtube youtube.com/djsean00

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

@Joshua, glad it worked and you're up and running and loving new voice!

@Sean, thank you for sharing!

Don Desfosse

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
I am flying FS9 with Squawkbox and the adjunct AFV but I am text only. Despite my mic calibrating perfectly I am not able to use voice.

Hi Scott, the community would love to try to help get you up on voice if you'd like to try. Please feel free to post any error messages you've been receiving, details on your configuration, etc. in a post over at viewforum.php?f=158

Don Desfosse

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey DJ Sean,

Hopefully this doesn't sound like self-promtion because its not meant to be but I've done a tutorial on this that might be helpful for you.

thanks a lot for that, I will share it on the swift Discord, we might include it the swift docomeentation.

• 2 months later...
Stephen Sharpe 1297729
Posted
Posted

I saw this post and thought it might apply to me. I use XP 9.7 (because my Mac Mini won't support the newer versions without a big frame rate hit). I used to use voice (XSquawkbox) but now use text because I understand that the new voice features require newer versions of XP. Is that true? If not, please point me to the resources I need for my older capabilities. Thanks!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Stephen,

as long as your pilot client can talk to X-Plane 9.x, you should be fine! I do not know whether swift works with X-Plane 9.x, have you tried it? Otherwise check out the new beta of xSquawkbox and xPilot.

Stephen Sharpe 1297729
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, Swift and the newer versions of xSquawkbox require XP 10 or higher, so it appears that XP9 users are now text only capable.

• 2 months later...
Bahram Kabiri 1392880
Posted
Posted

Guys I am using FSX but after installing SWIFT GUI, it says No simulator! Does not connect to FSX... Could you help?

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
did a flight from SFO to Portland and it was insane. the new voice codecs are almost identical to what I hear in real life!

Then get your buttocks down I-71 to Cincinnati and get this "Swift" working for me my friend.

Tried 64 bit based Swift on my Windows system like you ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it was for a Win64 pc), was eventually (5 months later - 2 days ago) advised to use 32 bit (FS9), and the doggone thing still says the same verbiage when I try to connect: "no model string". I've spent a ridiculous amount of hours on trying to get this program to work in FS9. The docomeentation is horrible. Fortunately a gentlemen made some youtube videos that help with the initial installation and model matching. Unfortunately there is no [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance anywhere (website, youtube) instructing on how to set up SWIFT in a networked system using FS9. The farthest they extend down is FSX using Simconnect. FS9 does not use Simconnect - It uses FSUIPC (arguably a much more stable platform - God love Pete Dowson).

So Joshua, now that we are messenger friends, please help me with this dilemma. I've been writing computer code for over 16 years and have never seen anything so confusing. "No model string" WOW. Go figure. All I want to do is see other users aircrafts when flying, taxiing, etc. Nothing more. Even Squawkbox recognizes my inputs (squawk code, Mode C, PTT, over the network). Can you help?

Michael Lehkamp

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Mike, just contact me directly and we will sort it out...

Andreas,

Please see my post in the thread "RE: SWIFT FOR FS9/2004 I GIVE UP!".

And thank you,

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Good morning Michael,

I see that you have contacted us on swift Discord. We found out now that swift cannot connect to FS9 through a network (yet). I really was not aware of it since swift does work with all other SIMs through network, so this surprised me as well As Roland has confirmed now he will amend the code of swift to enable remote connections to FS9. Fingers crossed we will get you connected very soon!

Again, sorry for the confusion!

Will keep you in the loop re developments.