You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VAT-Spy Map not working

Sonny Nixon

Sonny Nixon
Posted
Posted

I have been having this issues for a while as are some others in my division and I have tried literally everything but the map is still showing either a blank white page or staying on the previous page that I was on before clicking on the map.

So people know I have done the following:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled

- Downloaded new data and replace the files in %AppData%/VAT-Spy

- Ran as an Admin

I am not entirely sure what more I can do which is why I thought it's about time I ask the general membership, hopefully someone can help and thanks in advance!

Sonny Nixon

VATSIM External Operations Director

Email: [email protected]

pMuZV2n.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Not really sure, and this is a real shot in the dark, but maybe check to see in the Task Manager if VATSpy is running, and terminate the application that way? Also, maybe try rebooting computer?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Sonny Nixon
Posted
Posted
Not really sure, and this is a real shot in the dark, but maybe check to see in the Task Manager if VATSpy is running, and terminate the application that way? Also, maybe try rebooting computer?

Done both and still doesn't work, thanks for your suggestion though.

Sonny Nixon

pMuZV2n.png

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Sounds similar to my issue. I have VatSpy on two PC's but one of them no longer displays the map. The PC in question is fairly old and the graphics card is downright ancient. I have come to the conclusion its the drivers, which I cannot update any more, that just can't display certain things.

Sonny Nixon
Posted
Posted
Sounds similar to my issue. I have VatSpy on two PC's but one of them no longer displays the map. The PC in question is fairly old and the graphics card is downright ancient. I have come to the conclusion its the drivers, which I cannot update any more, that just can't display certain things.

Well I wouldn't say I have the best graphics card however it used to work on my laptop now it suddenly doesn't so that's why I am a bit curious as to why it not longer works.

Sonny Nixon

pMuZV2n.png

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I'm stumped too, and lets face it VatSpy should not be too taxing for any graphics card. My older PC did run VatSpy for years without issue, but no longer does. Maybe there was a small change in the code somewhere that my older graphics card just does not like. I really should get around to swapping the card out ! Hope you get it resolved.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I haven't changed the vatspy map rendering code in quite a while. My best guess is that you had a video driver update that broke something.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Sonny Nixon
Posted
Posted
I haven't changed the vatspy map rendering code in quite a while. My best guess is that you had a video driver update that broke something.

Hiya Ross, from my understanding I haven't updated any video driver so nothing should of changed?

Sonny Nixon

pMuZV2n.png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Any Windows Updates other than video?

Me.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

The old PC running VatSpy has an Nvidia 9950 GT card which must be 15 years old. I'm not sure it's supported in Win 10, but it has been working with a generic Windows driver. Anyway, so I tried installing an older version of the Nvidia driver and the map displays, but any attempt to zoom or move the map only happens at a snails pace. So I reckon it's definitely the driver / card. Time to retire it I think

• 1 year later...
Gerhard Breuer
Posted
Posted

Hi, since I have updated my Win10 Pro 64 to Version 20H2 I can´t bring VatSpy to live, wether with the older version nor latest beta, switched of firewall, reboot, uninstall, ...

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

For me it was the graphics card drivers.  Try downloading the latest driver from the card manufacturers site ( Nvidea etc ) and install that rather than let Windows select a driver for you.