You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What would you do in 46 seconds?

Miklos Cserny

Miklos Cserny
Posted
Posted

This is a true story of my ex RAAF pilot friend, who has managed to ditch a DC3 in Botany Bay, Sydney and saved all people on board with very minimal injuries to some. He has been declared a hero, but within a short while the Australian CAA (Civilian Aviation Authority) crucified him for "pilot error" I do recomment this book to all.

What would you do in 46 seconds.

Long before Sully and his 'Miracle on the Hudson', Rod had the misfortune to lose an engine on takeoff in a DC-3 at Sydney (New South Wales, Australia) and had to make split-second decision to execute a controlled ditching in Botany Bay, summoning all his piloting skills and RAAF P-3 Orion training to execute a perfect touchdown, saving all p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers and crew on board. He was hailed as a hero at the time - still is by the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers and crew and all who know him - but the aviation accident authority chose to scapegoat and vilify him and quickly close the case, instead of conducting an in-depth professional investigation.

http://www.fromherotozero.com.au/

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Good work Miklos. RAAF has has quite a few peacetime incidents over the years, and with their training pilots were always sought after in the civilian airlines.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that ,tried the local library and the internet library with no luck,sounds a good read,Art

Miklos Cserny
Posted
Posted

Arthur, the book only has come out about two weeks ago, at the moment it is only purchaseable, I don't think it will be in the libraries at the moment. I think it is a well worthwhile purchase.

Best regards,

Miklos

Miklos Cserny
Posted
Posted
Good work Miklos. RAAF has has quite a few peacetime incidents over the years, and with their training pilots were always sought after in the civilian airlines.

Hello Sean,

The work is not mine, but my good friend Rod Lovell. I just placed the article here for people to read and see what kind of problems might crop up with commercial flying.

Best regards,

Miklos