You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thanks

William Black 1469374

William Black 1469374
Posted
Posted

I am new to VATSIM. I really don’t know why I waited so long to join. I am a licensed private pilot, but retired and the cost of flying/plane rental is unfortunately a thing of the past. I used flight simulation to keep my love of flying alive. Tonight I completed two short flights, interacting with ground, tower, ATIS, Centers and Unicom. Wow, just like the real thing. I’m posting here to thank all that I had the privilege to interact with. You make a hobby that I enjoy even more enjoyable than it has been for years. Thank you!

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Agreed William.

After almost 15yrs and almost 10,000hrs flying, 700hrs of atc, I don’t regret any day, and still remember my amazement when I found this place.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Silly me, I flew for years with AI ATC lamenting that it was so unrealistic or boring, then tried starting a monthly event on another flight sim multiplayer network that didn't have ATC, where a couple of us learned some watered-down phraseology and acted as controllers for the others. By the time I discovered VATSIM it had been around for a decade or so. A real headsmack moment and a quantum leap forward for me. It really filled a well-docomeented void in my sim life!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ken Pryor
Posted
Posted

I started flight sim in 2002 and joined VATSIM that same year. I was pretty intimidated by it for a long time and didn't fly online much. Like Rob said, the AI traffic and ATC were both unrealistic and boring (except when the AI ignored your position and flew right through you LOL). Anyway, once I finally got over the nerves and spent time on VATSIM, I've never looked back. I'm glad you're here and having a good time William. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Alex Brown
Posted
Posted

I started back in 2006. Was on pins and needles. First flight was in stock MD 11 KORD-PHNL. Did it with a good friend of mine Jim Bishop. Everything went good till it was time to land......but since then I have over 15,000hrs and in school to become a RWP. Lot of good folks here that'll help at anytime!