You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot Feature request for Unicom

Deon Mathews

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted

I'm currently using 2 sound output devises for simulator sounds and online communications respectively. My online communications run on a headset and simulator sounds on desktop speakers. When flying on Unicom this was easy as I could monitor text on vPilot but with voice I'm obliged to use the headset as well.

My request is for a second output channel on vPilot to accommodate Unicom.

Hope this is possible?

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't think I want to add functionality and all the necessary configuration UI just to have a different sound device for a single frequency. It's not realistic at all, and not something that has ever been requested before.

Besides, don't you need your headset for UNICOM anyway? Or do you have a desktop microphone as well? Or do you not intend on transmitting on UNICOM?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

We are looking at adding more ACP (Audio Control Panel) functionality to AFV in a future update, which will include things like the ability to use multiple sound devices, volume control per radio and quite possibly the ability to specify separate headset/loudspeaker devices.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

At least a "quick flip switch" would be cool to change with a single click between the headset device and some pre-defined speaker-device. That would be useful when a pilot needs to get up to go to the kitchen or needs to so something in the background, but still has to listen to the radio chat on frequency.

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted
I don't think I want to add functionality and all the necessary configuration UI just to have a different sound device for a single frequency. It's not realistic at all, and not something that has ever been requested before.

Besides, don't you need your headset for UNICOM anyway? Or do you have a desktop microphone as well? Or do you not intend on transmitting on UNICOM?

I do have desktop microphone and intend transmitting on Unicom. Was only a suggestion and at least I now know my request won't happen.

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Having the ability to switch sound devices quickly would be great. Sometimes I get sweaty ears with my headset on all the time, so during quieter parts of the flight, say - when flying right across an FIR on the straightest airway that ever airway'd, or say crossing the pond, it'd be nice to take the headphones off and put the radio output onto a speaker. Less fatiguing when you aren't wearing something over your ears for hours "just in case" and/or waiting for the inevitable "Contact [next] Centre on 12x.x" in an hour or 2.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Being able to switch to speakers quickly is a different feature request than the one this thread is about. That's something I'm already considering because it has been brought up a few times over the years, mainly for people that want to step away for a moment but still hear the frequency. (Wanting to give your ears a break is another good use for that feature.)

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Having a quick switch from the headset to speaker would be a good addition, but maybe I am missing something here. When I want a break from the headset I just change the output device on vPilot to speakers and I can monitor UNICOM while making a coffee. It take a few clicks with the mouse. Again, maybe I am misunderstanding the issue.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I don't think you're misunderstanding; I just think that there are enough people out there that would enjoy having a one-click solution for it that it's worth discussing.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

No need for a one click solution. What I have done is set up my sounds so that sound plays through both speaks and headphones at the same time, this can be achieve via windows sound settings. So for example if you have your headset on, just have the volume down on your speakers. If you want to take your headset off for example in the cruise, just take your headset off and put the volume up on your speakers so you can still hear the engines and ATC. If you need to speak to ATC just speak into your mic on your headset. The headset does not need to be on your head, it could be round your neck or on your desk. I have been doing this way for years. No need to switch sound devices on vpilot.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

To reiterate: the ability to use multiple audiodevices and have much greater control over what comes out of where and at what volume is something that we aim to put in to place soon

Vice President, Pilot Training

Joel Richters
Posted
Posted
At least a "quick flip switch" would be cool to change with a single click between the headset device and some pre-defined speaker-device. That would be useful when a pilot needs to get up to go to the kitchen or needs to so something in the background, but still has to listen to the radio chat on frequency.

I agree for AFV. As a controller I’d like to be able to quick reroute sound to the desktop so that I can get up and move without being limited to 1m from the computer.

Joel Richters

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

#WirelessHeadset

In all seriousness now: As Simon has said, it's in the to-do list

Me.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Simon is referring to planned capabilities for AFV ... whether or not I implement it in vPilot is a whole other thing. Might happen, might not. Just want to be clear on that.

• 2 weeks later...
Kin-Shing Dave Tchang
Posted
Posted

Hi,

You can also use a virtual sound mixing panel such as Voicemeeter Banana. You can find more information on their website (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm). Just started using this after seeing this being mentioned in another forum post here on Vatsim and it's just great for this purpose!

Kind regards,

Dave

Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 20H2).

XPv11: Orbx & OpenSceneryX Libraries, Ortho4XP, SimHeaven X-Europe, Orbx TE GB South, Swift.