You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thoughts on VATSIM from a real controller

Jonathan Hougaard

Jonathan Hougaard
Posted
Posted (edited)

E: Standby for an actual opinion ...

Edited by Guest

David Kirchner
Posted
Posted

Hello Jonathon,

I guess you are pointing fingers on me. I do understand your rage, but I hope we can sort this out quickly. The first time I heard about your request for the Fast-Track procedure was October 24th and I immediately allowed you to take the test. You are my first Fast-Track procedure (new on the job) and I thought the S1 rating before the CPT (which is required due to VATEUD policy) was enough - so that you have the S1 rating for the CPT and get the C1 thereafter. Obviously this was wrong and you need at least a S3 rating. I should have tested this and I did not, sorry for that.

But please, I usually respond to emails within a day, maybe a few days, but if there was a problem, just inform me. That is nothing that we cannot sort out. In fact, it es really simple to sort out this specific problem. But without anyone informing me, I cannot help. I just found your post because someone else informed me about it. After issuing the S1 rating, I have not heard anything about your case. This is why I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed everything was fine.

So, please write an email to me ([email protected]) and we will quickly solve your problem.

David Kirchner                                     VATEUD Logo
ATC Training Department Director
unnamed.png.7ea1021ee91ff68552c5250e96e78a5f.png [email protected]
unnamed.png.7ea1021ee91ff68552c5250e96e78a5f.png [email protected]

HÃ¥vard Halvorsen 1284176
Posted
Posted

Hello Jonathan,

I believe this also was pointed towards me as well. When you initially requested fast-track training in the summer, I was away on holiday and was unable to process your request immediately. And before got to the point of processing your request we had to shut down our Training Administration System as you mentioned, as the API we pulled user data from suddenly was shut down. We closed for all request to avoid screwing up the database and damage our system even further. It took some time to get this up and running again since this happened in the middle of the summer and our web-team does this on their spare time. This was not "simulated bureaucracy" but a necessary action we had to take.

I see that David have requested a upgrade to a S3 rating for you now, so hopefully you will soon be able to get going and take your CPT. I hope that you find controlling on our network enjoyable despite the start-up trouble you've had

-Training Director of VATSIM Scandinavia

Håvard Halvorsen

Training Director

VATSIM Scandinavia

Email: [email protected]

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
My memories of "simulated bureaucracy" that I have from my time on IVAO long ago started coming back to me. Quite a realistic touch, I might add

Jonathan,

After over four years on this otherwise wonderful network, I can't help but agree with you. In most aspects of life, red tape is annoying, but it becomes even more annoying when the red tape is there for seemingly no reason. This doesn't just apply to VATEUDs fast-track system or similar, but my honest opinion is that this 'simulated bureacracy' as you called it is far more prevalent throughout the network. We can do better at streamlining some ridiculous processes and policies so that in the future things like this (regardless of whether it was a misunderstanding or not), and other things don't occur again. Red tape should be used where red tape is due.

Cheers,

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Let's not forget that the entire network, including all VACCs, is run by volunteers, often using 'home-brew' tools... People sometimes have other priorities in life, tools sometimes break down.

Martijn

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
Let's not forget that the entire network, including all VACCs, is run by volunteers, often using 'home-brew' tools... People sometimes have other priorities in life, tools sometimes break down.

Martijn

Never said it wasn't. I am one of those said volunteers. Tools break, that's a fact, but I was talking in a more general sense.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo