You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawk mode C

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Just wanted an update on this. I've been on Vatsim for quite some time, previously with Satco. I was away for a couple of years, but have returned now that I'm retired.

Before my absence, it was the procedure to only activate mode C when one was lining up on the rwy for departure. After landing it was customary to set squawk mode on standby once the active runway was vacated. Since my return this year, I seem to get the impression that it's customary to activate mode C when one commences to taxi to the runway. On arrival standby is set only when one has reached the stand/gate. Is this correct? Is this the current procedure nowadays, or have I missed something?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Dave

Dave

Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 20H2).

XPv11: Orbx & OpenSceneryX Libraries, Ortho4XP, SimHeaven X-Europe, Orbx TE GB South, Swift.

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Just wanted an update on this. I've been on Vatsim for quite some time, previously with Satco. I was away for a couple of years, but have returned now that I'm retired.

Before my absence, it was the procedure to only activate mode C when one was lining up on the rwy for departure. After landing it was customary to set squawk mode on standby once the active runway was vacated. Since my return this year, I seem to get the impression that it's customary to activate mode C when one commences to taxi to the runway. On arrival standby is set only when one has reached the stand/gate. Is this correct? Is this the current procedure nowadays, or have I missed something?

Hi Dave,

As per the recent change to the Code of Conduct (Section B4) https://www.vatsim.net/docomeents/code-of-conduct

A pilot shall not squawk standby while their aircraft is in motion except when requested by air traffic control. Simulation of aircraft without a transponder is permitted with air traffic control approval.

Tomas Hansson

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Hi Dave,

As per the recent change to the Code of Conduct (Section B4) https://www.vatsim.net/docomeents/code-of-conduct

A pilot shall not squawk standby while their aircraft is in motion except when requested by air traffic control. Simulation of aircraft without a transponder is permitted with air traffic control approval.

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the heads up!

Kind regards,

Dave

Dave

Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 20H2).

XPv11: Orbx & OpenSceneryX Libraries, Ortho4XP, SimHeaven X-Europe, Orbx TE GB South, Swift.

Alex Ying
Posted
Posted

Many large airports now also have surface movement radar which requires Mode-C to work, so you should always check the airport charts and ATIS for information on how that's handled.

spacer.png

Instructor // ZNY/ZWY Facility Coordinator

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

The general rule for pilots in the real world is nowadays to always have their transponders set to ALT ON (=mode C, but TCAS disabled) when moving on the ground. Only when lining up for departure will TCAS be enabled as "TA/RA". After landing the system is set again to ALT ON until reaching the final parking position.

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted

And there I've just learned something new! Thanks gents!!

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted
The general rule for pilots in the real world is nowadays to always have their transponders set to ALT ON (=mode C, but TCAS disabled) when moving on the ground. Only when lining up for departure will TCAS be enabled as "TA/RA". After landing the system is set again to ALT ON until reaching the final parking position.

We use ALT OFF on the ground in the aircraft I fly. That means the mode A (4 digit transponder code) and the mode S (aircraft identity as set in the FMS) is transmitted, but the mode C (altitude reporting) will still be off.

Of course on VATSIM we only have two modes: Standby (essentially OFF), and Mode C (which works like mode A/C/S all operating)

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia