You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR - Traffic patterns in US and Europe/UK

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've been reading up on the subject of traffic patterns around airfields and I've found there are some small differences between US and Europe. For example in the US it's general practice to enter the pattern at non-towered airfields at 45° angle at mid-field on the downwind leg. In Europe this is done at the start of the downwind leg instead of mid-field.

For the pattern altitude this is in the US for fixed-wing aircraft 1000 feet AGL and for rotor-wing aircraft 500 feet. I could only find on the internet that in Europe for fixed-wing aircraft the general standard pattern is also 1000 feet AGL. For rotor-wing aircraft I found no information if it was 500 feet AGL or 1000 feet AGL. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks!

Kind regards,

Dave

Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 20H2).

XPv11: Orbx & OpenSceneryX Libraries, Ortho4XP, SimHeaven X-Europe, Orbx TE GB South, Swift.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

General advice: use charts. Don't trust on 'general rules' covering an entire continent. There are simply too many local influences.

Martijn

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

...and here on VATSIM (almost) nobody will shout at you for entering the downwind mid-field or at the beginning of the downwind-leg. As long as you state your intentions and make your position reports on 122.800 (now by voice!!), you'll be set.

Kin-Shing Dave Tchang
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. What about the pattern altitude, is there a difference for fixed-wing and rotor-wing aircraft? Not all airport charts provide this information.

Kind regards,

Dave

Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 20H2).

XPv11: Orbx & OpenSceneryX Libraries, Ortho4XP, SimHeaven X-Europe, Orbx TE GB South, Swift.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the R/W aircraft is flying VFR, simply use the VFR circuit altitude that is stated on the chart.

Martijn