You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Multiple Disconnects Tonight

Mike Lehkamp

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, [FS9 - SB4 - AFV)

Please understand, up until tonight (Thanksgiving), everything has been working beautifully. In fact, if you check our logged flights, you will notice that we've flown just about everyday for the last 10. Occasional disconnect but overall pretty stable.

Until tonight, (Thanksgiving), we did a flight from Cincinnati to Atlanta and experienced repetitive (over 10) disconnects from AFV. On the ground it was unmerciful to the point we just stayed disconnected. Once airborne, we were finally able to connect to AFV and talked all the way from the Volunteer Vortac with Atlanta Center until we were handed off to ATL approach. Then, AFV began repeatedly disconnecting again. And when we would reconnect, at times, we could hear but not transmit. In addition, when we did get disconnected, a couple of times it also disconnected us from the main (SB4) Vatsim server. It got so bad on approach as the AFV kept giving us "time out" indications, we finally just disconnected and landed.

Again, this has worked really stable for quite some time until this (Thanksgiving evening).

Any help appreciated. Noting changed on this end that would explain this evenings trouble.

Michael

757simulator.com

1.jpg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

If you got disconnected from the network servers too (SB4), then that definitely points to your connection not being too "trustworthy" last night. If you were onlyy getting disconnected from voice, it could've been something our side, but again the fact that you got disconnected from both servers (they are independent, if one kicks you out you don't get kicked out of the other) points to some issue in your connection.

Me.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Appreciate the reply.

How does one's computer connection become "untrustworthy" overnight when its sole purpose and use is for flight simulation? I'm not sure I even know what that means or what to do to remedy the problem. If this indeed is the problem then what is the solution? Thank you.

Michael

757simulator.com

1.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Michael, I believe he was speaking of some unknown (and hopefully temporary) network disruption somewhere along the chain between your computer and the AFV and network servers -- not necessarily that your computer itself has been compromised in some way.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

I probably should've used "unreliable" there It's possible that your ISP was just having a fit then and hence it was impossible for you to keep a connection to the servers. Keep an eye on it for a couple of days and let us know if this issue persists or not, please.

EDIT: Dammit, Robert beat me to it!

Me.

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Robert, Nester, thank you. That makes total sense. I will report back with results.

Michael

757simulator.com

1.jpg

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Think the problems were more on the server side. Was controlling EDDM online day that evening and most of us had several disconnects over the evening (sometimes the AFV standalone even crashed).

Whatever it was, it seems to be gone, had no issues yesterday.

If it happens, in my experience, it usually happens to more than one user at once.

Alex Brown
Posted
Posted

I keep getting multiple disconnects from voice daily. Doesn't matter what server I'm on...i always get disconnected from the voice server. Is there any fix on this? Anyone else having this issue?

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Everyone thank you for the replies.

Robert, Nestor, I promised I would report back. The following day, including today, everything was perfect. Back to status quo. Thank you all for replying and giving me insight.

Michael

757simulator.com

1.jpg

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Yesterday, when logged in as a controller, the client disconnected itself. After restarting and reconnecting, pilots could hear me, but it took some time before I could hear them as well. The same thing happened a few weeks ago (during a very busy event ).

Request: would it be possible to let the standalone client sound an alarm whenever it disconnects?

Martijn

Ben Stevenson
Posted
Posted

Request: would it be possible to let the standalone client sound an alarm whenever it disconnects?

Martijn

YES! This! It sometimes seems to make a noise. At least the once or twice i've noticed it, doesn't really jump out to me, but that is only if it's running in the background. If i shrink it so it stays on top, no noise is made. It really needs a sound, and something that will make you take notice.

The AFV client sometimes frequently disconnects on me. I don't seem to get booted from the network, just the voice disconnects, the client freezes and i have to try restarting it a few times before it will reconnect.

0.png

Ben Stevenson

Chief Instructor

Toronto FIR (CZYZ)

torontofir.ca

CZYZ-logo-black.png