You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot beta update 1.1.7.0 now available

Justin Shannon

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Version 1.1.7.0 of xPilot is now available for download from the web site, or via the automatic update utility built into the pilot client.

The following items were added or fixed in this version:

• Identified and fixed an issue that caused higher than normal CPU utilization. In my limited testing, the CPU utilization for X-Plane has been reduced up to 50%. This should help to resolve stuttering issues.
  • Settings window within X-Plane now uses ImGui for the UI controls
  • Model matching debug is now turned off by default. It can be enabled in the xPilot settings within X-Plane
  • Added a menu option within X-Plane to quickly enable or disable the built-in X-Plane ATIS (it can be accessed through Plugins > xPilot > Enable Default ATIS)
  • Removed low frame rate popup dialog. xPilot will now automatically disconnect you from the network if your framerate is continuously below 20fps.

It is important that you close X-Plane before installing the update, otherwise the X-Plane plugin cannot be properly updated.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Philipp Schatz
Posted
Posted

Thanks Justin for this really great update! I had immense CPU issues before updating and now finished 1,5h flights in very busy airspace with no CPU hickups! Very well done!

Joseph Sukatendel
Posted
Posted

"Removed low frame rate popup dialog. xPilot will now automatically disconnect you from the network if your framerate is continuously below 20fps."

Hello, can you please tell us how sensitive this is? I do get the 20fps alert on the previous version but I hope it's not as sensitive. If possible, please add an option to disable it. I think it would be better if we disconnect when asked by the ATC instead of the client disconnecting us. We might be receiving an important message! Looking forward to your reply.

Nils Gravelsins
Posted
Posted

I think it would be better if we disconnect when asked by the ATC instead of the client disconnecting us. We might be receiving an important message! Looking forward to your reply.

I agree I get low FPS Occasionally, however, I am running a script that counteracts the 'time compression' effects of X-plane so that I can achieve normal speed.

Additionally, I'd like to know if it's possible to add this feature: When you turn the volume knob in your simulator for the radios the volume level is reflected in the Pilot Client. It came to mind when I noticed that if the client can tell if the aircraft has power to the avionics then this volume feature might be possible. I am eager to hear your thoughts on this!

Philipp Schatz
Posted
Posted

I think it would be better if we disconnect when asked by the ATC instead of the client disconnecting us. We might be receiving an important message! Looking forward to your reply.

I agree I get low FPS Occasionally, however, I am running a script that counteracts the 'time compression' effects of X-plane so that I can achieve normal speed.

Additionally, I'd like to know if it's possible to add this feature: When you turn the volume knob in your simulator for the radios the volume level is reflected in the Pilot Client. It came to mind when I noticed that if the client can tell if the aircraft has power to the avionics then this volume feature might be possible. I am eager to hear your thoughts on this!

I can recommend this amazing plugin that automatically controls all the render settings dynamically while keeping a individually defined target fps

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/43281-3jfps-wizard11/

Nils Gravelsins
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I use that plugin but there's only so much a script can do. I think it's time for a PC upgrade

Tim Simpson
Posted
Posted
"Removed low frame rate popup dialog. xPilot will now automatically disconnect you from the network if your framerate is continuously below 20fps."

Hello, can you please tell us how sensitive this is? I do get the 20fps alert on the previous version but I hope it's not as sensitive. If possible, please add an option to disable it. I think it would be better if we disconnect when asked by the ATC instead of the client disconnecting us. We might be receiving an important message! Looking forward to your reply.

I agree with the option to opt in or out of the automatic disconnect. This is something that should be coordinated between the pilot and ATC, and not at the whim of an algorithm. As consumers these days, it's becoming wearisome to have options taken away, and "features" forced upon us.

I'm glad that the pauses and stutters have begun to be addressed, but this forced disconnect issue is a deal breaker for me. It's one more barrier to using the VATSIM network for some folks. Even though xpilot is a nicer, and simpler interface than Swift, I think I will stick with Swift, and watch the xpilot development from the sideline for now.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

I agree with the option to opt in or out of the automatic disconnect. This is something that should be coordinated between the pilot and ATC, and not at the whim of an algorithm. As consumers these days, it's becoming wearisome to have options taken away, and "features" forced upon us.

I'm glad that the pauses and stutters have begun to be addressed, but this forced disconnect issue is a deal breaker for me. It's one more barrier to using the VATSIM network for some folks. Even though xpilot is a nicer, and simpler interface than Swift, I think I will stick with Swift, and watch the xpilot development from the sideline for now.

Inability to maintain 1x simulation rate is a deal breaker to controllers the second you have to be sequenced or separated from other aircraft.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Even though xpilot is a nicer, and simpler interface than Swift, I think I will stick with Swift, and watch the xpilot development from the sideline for now.

Eventually they will add it too, not worth the effort of changing tbh.

Me.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Possible bug reports:

1) When running X-Plane, but closing and re-opening xPilot, on each subsequent load the xPilot Plugin startup message displays an additional time. On the second launch of xPilot, it shows twice; on the third, it shows three times; and so forth.

2) After approximately 2 hours of flying, if there's been traffic around me for a while (such as in a group flight), the sim will indeed start to get stuttery -- framerates (as shown by 3jFPSwizard) are still okay, but, the sim will proceed for 0.5 seconds, pause for 0.5 seconds, proceed for 0.5 seconds, pause for 0.5 seconds, etcetera. Completely closing and exiting xPilot does NOT fix this right away, but, re-opening it seems to smooth it out fairly immediately. However, this is how I discovered problem (1) above, LOL.

Let me know what further info I might be able to provide to help investigate. Happy to help however I can!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted

The day VATSIM starts forcing FPS standards on PILOTS will be the day the network dies.

Controllers have always had to deal with this, and heavy winds, and disconnects, and whatever.

If you LIMIT pilot's abilities to join and use the network based off their hardware requirements, you will only succeed in pushing them away.

Then where will the controllers be?

There is NOTHING in the CoC about maintaining framerates so I'd like to know who at VATSIM agreed to this draconian measure?

Thanks for all the hard work on this really good client, but I won't be upgrading.

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
Possible bug reports:

1) When running X-Plane, but closing and re-opening xPilot, on each subsequent load the xPilot Plugin startup message displays an additional time. On the second launch of xPilot, it shows twice; on the third, it shows three times; and so forth.

2) After approximately 2 hours of flying, if there's been traffic around me for a while (such as in a group flight), the sim will indeed start to get stuttery -- framerates (as shown by 3jFPSwizard) are still okay, but, the sim will proceed for 0.5 seconds, pause for 0.5 seconds, proceed for 0.5 seconds, pause for 0.5 seconds, etcetera. Completely closing and exiting xPilot does NOT fix this right away, but, re-opening it seems to smooth it out fairly immediately. However, this is how I discovered problem (1) above, LOL.

Let me know what further info I might be able to provide to help investigate. Happy to help however I can!

I'm a little confused by this sentence "Completely closing and exiting xPilot does NOT fix this right away, but, re-opening it seems to smooth it out fairly immediately".

When you say "re-opening it", are you referring to the xPilot client or X-Plane?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

From the rest of the sentence, I'd say the xPilot client

Me.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted (edited)
The day VATSIM starts forcing FPS standards on PILOTS will be the day the network dies.

Controllers have always had to deal with this, and heavy winds, and disconnects, and whatever.

If you LIMIT pilot's abilities to join and use the network based off their hardware requirements, you will only succeed in pushing them away.

Then where will the controllers be?

There is NOTHING in the CoC about maintaining framerates so I'd like to know who at VATSIM agreed to this draconian measure?

Thanks for all the hard work on this really good client, but I won't be upgrading.

There are rules about simulation rate. Slow motion is just as bad as, if not worse than time acceleration.

Edited by Guest

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
From the rest of the sentence, I'd say the xPilot client

I see that now... I misread his original post as "Completely closing and opening xPilot does NOT..."

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

#BlameJustin

Me.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

xPilot is not the only pilot client to implement this; the new XSB beta also enforces this.

It's also not fair to the controllers (especially during busy events) to try to sequence slow-mo aircraft because they haven't bothered to properly configure their sim to run in real-time. X-Plane isn't tolerant of low-frame rates like FSX/P3D is. If you really want to complain to someone, then Laminar is who you should be addressing your concerns to.

Actually, item B9 in the Code of Conduct specifically talks about simulation rate...

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Fly FSX or P3D, then. Those sims will run at any FPS you want while keeping sim rate at 1x. X-Plane does not. So while there's no specific requirement about framerate, the requirement of 1x sim rate equals a min 20fps requirement for X-Plane users.

If you really want to complain to someone, then Laminar is who you should be addressing your concerns to.

... and since they never designed their sim specifically to work in a multiplayer environment and the vast majority of their users aren't interested in being in one, that complaint won't get too far, especially considering that fixing it would require a complete s[Mod - lovely stuff] and rewrite of their core simulation code.

Look, Jeff, it sucks, but it's the situation, like it or not. You can't expect everyone in the arrival stream behind you to slow to 70 KIAS because you're clicking along on final at 50% sim rate.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Cross
Posted
Posted

The last two times I've flown on Vatsim the voice client has disconnected me. I still had text and could see other traffic but the voip disconnect. I texted the center and he told me to disconnect and reconnect. That did work. But i figured I'd report it cause i don't know if it's xpilot or the new AFM code. It didn't effect everyone. . Only me. Ctr confirmed he still had voice capabilities.

In any case, still worlds better than what we had before.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't disagree with "slow planes" in the queue are a problem during our huge unrealistic events like CTP. I also understand that the pilot should be aware of that and AVOID those situations completely as I do.

However, you cannot expect everyone to invest in new software or hardware arbitrarily.

Eventually, your standards will become so high you will force out a majority of pilots who do not have the financial resources to "keep up with the Jones'". What's next? No text only pilots because typing slows down the controller?

I disagree with the software making that decision. It should be a civil conversation between the pilot and controller.

Just kicking someone for that is draconian.

I fly out of the way intentionally because I know my FPS varies between 17-26 like I said. I don't have the $$ to buy a new sim, nor a new computer. So, I guess my only choice is to abandon VATSIM completely if this continues and I'm forced to maintain something I cannot physically do nor alleviate.

I hope you see my point.

As far as the CoC sim rate B9 article, it says I'm supposed to get ATC approval for that either. If there is NO ATC the software should not act as the FPS police.

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It's not just CTP. It's *any* event. And while the controller is already at the limit of their workload is not the time to expect a civil conversation about the relative merits of each side's situation.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted
I fly out of the way intentionally because I know my FPS varies between 17-26 like I said. I don't have the $$ to buy a new sim, nor a new computer. So, I guess my only choice is to abandon VATSIM completely if this continues and I'm forced to maintain something I cannot physically do nor alleviate.

Have you tried running one of the performance scripts suggested? You might be pleasantly surprised by the results on your system if you do. X-Plane’s graphics settings aren’t the most intuitive, and you may be capable of better performance than you realize.

Dhruv Kalra

878508.png878508.png