You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSB 2 feature requests

Timothy Walker 1294725

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

Since we're currently in a Beta phase triggered by the need for AFV support, I figure now is not the worst time to ask for some features to be squeezed into this development cycle.

I would like to kindly request the following:

(1) support for stereo microphones

>>> see related: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=80710

(2) remember positions of the "text" and "who's online" windows/overlays

(3) remember the state of the "use radio effects" checkbox, doesn't seem to work right now

(4) ideally, re-introduce volume control for the selected audio output

>>> I have sim sounds come out of my main speakers, and VATSIM audio come out of my headset

>>>>>> currently, I need to remember to use and set the system volume for my headset before using XSB

>>>>>> and since I use the same headset for e.g. PilotEdge, I need to remember to reset it to max before using PE

>>>>>>>>> under macOS, you have to open Audio MIDI Setup to adjust volume for anything but the default output device, which is a pain

>>> other plugins (e.g. PilotEdge) read X-Plane datarefs and adjust output volume accordingly

- sim/operation/sound/radio_volume_ratio

- sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_volume_com1

- sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_volume_com2

>>>>>> making for easy volume control from within the sim (a number of third-party aircraft addons include manipulators for radio volume controls directly in the cockpit)

>>>>>>>>> these datarefs exist in both X-Plane 10 and 11, FWIW

Best Regards,

Tim

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Since we're currently in a Beta phase triggered by the need for AFV support, I figure now is not the worst time to ask for some features to be squeezed into this development cycle.

I would like to kindly request the following:

Not happening anytime soon unless somebody else contributes the downmixer to AFV-Native in a way that doesn't kill the capture loop performance. It's too much of an edge-case given that we strongly recommend headsets and the majority of headset mics are monaural only.

(2) remember positions of the "text" and "who's online" windows/overlays

Not happening in 2.x - too big a change. 3.x uses completely different windowing - I'll see if we can work it in.

(3) remember the state of the "use radio effects" checkbox, doesn't seem to work right now

That's an actual bug - it should have already been persisting. I'll look into that.

XSB2 already uses the individual radio volume datarefs (this came in with all the other audio-panel/mixer support changes) - currently, however, it's presently using linear scale - this will be fixed to logarithmic scale at some point. We do not use the global dataref because that has other implications which we do not want to interfere with.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

Not happening anytime soon unless somebody else contributes the downmixer to AFV-Native in a way that doesn't kill the capture loop performance. It's too much of an edge-case given that we strongly recommend headsets and the majority of headset mics are monaural only.

Are any of the relevant parts of XSquawkBox open sourced? If so I could take a look at it.

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

XSB2 already uses the individual radio volume datarefs (this came in with all the other audio-panel/mixer support changes) - currently, however, it's presently using linear scale - this will be fixed to logarithmic scale at some point. We do not use the global dataref because that has other implications which we do not want to interfere with.

Aha, I must have only tested the global dataref then. As long as one of the datarefs work, I can work with it, thanks

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Are any of the relevant parts of XSquawkBox open sourced? If so I could take a look at it.

https://github.com/xsquawkbox/AFV-Native

Me.

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

Thanks, will try and take a look some time this week

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

TBH a quick look seems to indicate the PortAudio API does seem to support my stereo-only mic as configured in the AFV-Native code, I guess it has built-in downmix somewhere?

I got the test client built, but probably won't be able to actually test it on my sim machine until Tuesday. I might also see if there's something I can do about the SoundIO path, though since XSB is apparently going back to PortAudio, I won't spend too much time on it.

Not happening anytime soon unless somebody else contributes the downmixer to AFV-Native in a way that doesn't kill the capture loop performance.

Do you have a preferred/recommended way to measure the AFV-Native capture loop performance so I can check the effect of a basic downmix?

Timothy Walker 1294725
Posted
Posted

Just to confirm, the recently released beta4 hotfix 1 supports all of my stereo inputs and outputs, so it probably handles up/downmixing automatically.

Thoughts on my last question?