You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

very loud hash noise

Don Whyte

Don Whyte
Posted
Posted

I hear a very loud "hash" noise when other users transmit text messages in the Vatsim audio window. How can I eliminate this or make it quieter?

thanks

Don Whyte

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you're referring to xPilot or vPilot.

It's an alert sound to let you know there's been a message on frequency. If you don't want it, on xPilot there's a checkbox in the settings to disable this. In either xPilot or vPilot you can swap out the .wav file to something more pleasing if you choose. And in either case, if you have ATC audio going to something besides your default sound device, you can go into Windows mixer for your default sound device and lower the pilot client's sound level.

For future troubleshooting [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance, more detail about which sim and pilot client you're using is often very helpful if you want useful responses.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Don Whyte
Posted
Posted

Thank you Rob. My apologies, I normally do include a full description of the problem, software versions etc. Don't know why I didn't this time.

This is vPilot Version 2.4.0 running with Prepar3D v 3.4 on Windows 10. I found the .wav files you mentioned and replaced the RadioMessage file with something more pleasing. Lowering the sound volume also lowers the ATC volume to an unacceptable

level.

Many thanks for your help sir.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Lowering the sound volume also lowers the ATC volume to an unacceptable

level.

If you have the ATC audio going to a secondary device (like a headset), then under Windows Mixer there should be a vPilot level for BOTH the default sound device (where the alert sounds are sent) AND the secondary device (where the comms are sent). Lowering the alert sounds should not affect the level of the comms.

If you have them all going to the default device, then I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you only get one level adjustment which affects both -- meaning that editing the .wav file in question is probably your only solution. But, it's an effective one.

Happy to have helped.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png