You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Filing a flight plan

Michael Cyers

Michael Cyers
Posted
Posted

So, I am just wondering if I should file a flight plan, even if I don't connect to the VATSIM network? I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that it wouldn't matter, but I just want to get confirmation.

Removed
Posted
Posted

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Are you referring to using the pre-file option to file a flight plan with VATSIM, but you then decide to fly offline?

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

What'd be the point? It's not like it'd benefit anyone else to know you're not flying online via a precise and exact routing.

Filing a flightplan is a method of communicating with Air Traffic Control. It's telling the people who are controlling airspace where you intend to fly. How high, what airways and waypoints, which airports.

So filing a flightplan with no intention of actually connecting to the network to fly it, would be a bit like posting on facebook about how you're going to have a huge weekend meeting up with friends and family, going to see a new film, and party all night... but then not actually getting out of bed all day.

Except most people don't actually see the pre-filed flightplans on Vatsim Most Vatsim maps don't even display them, only the old ones like Servinfo... So it'd be like posting it on myspace, not facebook.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Michael Cyers
Posted
Posted
I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Are you referring to using the pre-file option to file a flight plan with VATSIM, but you then decide to fly offline?

Let me reword the question. Is it good practice to file a flight plan and then connect to the vatsim network even when I know there will be no controllers online?

Removed
Posted
Posted

Hello.

If you are flying on VATSIM, the following applies:

For IFR flight, you are required to file a flight plan, irrespective if controllers are covering the airspace you are operating in or not. For VFR flight, it is optional, but recommended.

B10 - All pilots flying IFR shall submit a flight plan before flight. The IFR flight plan must contain, at a minimum, the aircraft callsign, departure airport, arrival airport, aircraft type, and requested route. All VFR pilots are encouraged, when appropriate, to submit a flight plan.

I hope this helps.

Michael Cyers
Posted
Posted
Hello.

If you are flying on VATSIM, the following applies:

For IFR flight, you are required to file a flight plan, irrespective if controllers are covering the airspace you are operating in or not. For VFR flight, it is optional, but recommended.

B10 - All pilots flying IFR shall submit a flight plan before flight. The IFR flight plan must contain, at a minimum, the aircraft callsign, departure airport, arrival airport, aircraft type, and requested route. All VFR pilots are encouraged, when appropriate, to submit a flight plan.

I hope this helps.

Yes it does help. Thank you very much!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
even when I know there will be no controllers online?

Because you can see the future? Really, there's no means to predict with certainty that no controllers will be online for your flight. You can say it's *less likely* at a given time than at other times for any particular region, but, it's not a hundred percent predictable. So, file a plan anyway (per the CoC), and maybe this'll be the time that the unexpected happens.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Adding to all this: even as a pilot flying in uncontrolled airspace, I appreciate people filing their flight plans, because I routinely check activity in the area using external VATSIM maps, and knowing the destinations of aircraft in the wider area gives me a better idea of the traffic I can expect enroute. I'll still monitor UNICOM and announce my intentions, but it's nice to know that the aircraft currently on course to cross my route isn't going to descend below their current flight level, because they're still 1000 nm from their destination, or that they're going to turn from their current westbound heading soon, because their destination is actually to the east.

23.png