You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM suggested options for adjusting X-Plane rendering

Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

As stated in the post found at vats.im/fps, All X-Plane pilot clients have functionality built in to automatically disconnect users who fall below 20 frames per second for an extended period of time. This is necessary for smooth operation of the network.

You can find tools and suggestions for improving and automatically adjusting your rendering settings at the following links.

Setting the Rendering Options for Best Performance in X- Plane

https://www.x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/?fbclid=IwAR1lR28V_5L4-gIK0ElMOwdqR3Ib7jeOP2_jeR7_PW-4B2iVQ_ZTWZ3nS7s#settingtherenderingoptionsforbestperformance

FlyWithLua (Needed for 3jFPS and FPS Boost)

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38445-flywithlua-ng-next-generation-edition-for-x-plane-11-win-lin-mac/

Choose and use only one of these scripts below

3jFPS Wizard

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/43281-3jfps-wizard11/

FPS Boost + Auto LOD

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/52047-fps-boost-auto-lod/

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

Of course I understand the issue here, but I would like to add this perspective:

In all the years I learned to tweak all the settings and the whole set-up of X-plane so that it is still acceptable and as lean as possible, so I manage to keep fps in the range of 30-35 even in densed areas. When online via Swift and getting near one of the Arrivals of EHAM for example, while 25 to 30 other aircraft on VATSIM are in the neighborhood (which is very nice) makes the sim for about twenty seconds drop to fps between 11 and 15 (as if it is calculating or loading a lot) and then immediately go back to the steady 35, and back again to 11-15 etc. This happens about three or four periods until mounting to the gatebridge (sometimes while on glidescope, which kills the immersion on my side too).

I know for sure, that when I will be disconnected there is not much that I can do, because I am already tweaked to my optimum. When reducing my rendering settings even more to the absolute minimum will not have such an effect that it will compensate the about -/- 25fps loss of the traffic caused by VATSIM.

I hope the fantastic and userfriendly Swift client and the whole VATSIM platform in general will develop in a way that it will not "eat" much of computer performance even when a lot of traffic is going on, because there is nothing much more to manage on my end.

(I am already using 3jFPS etc. and on a bit less then mediocre settings on X-plane and got rid of the useless add ons and plugins for every particular leg: "rig": mac osx 10.14.3 (Mojave) iMac Retina 5K, 27", end2015, 4GHz i7, 32GB, AMD Radeon M395X 4096MB)

All the best

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
the whole VATSIM platform in general will develop in a way that it will not "eat" much of computer performance even when a lot of traffic is going on, because there is nothing much more to manage on my end.
We measured the frame rate drop just last week. The difference between flying offline and online, with and without traffic (I had 50+ aircraft displayed at a time!) the difference was just 1 fps.

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted
the whole VATSIM platform in general will develop in a way that it will not "eat" much of computer performance even when a lot of traffic is going on, because there is nothing much more to manage on my end.
We measured the frame rate drop just last week. The difference between flying offline and online, with and without traffic (I had 50+ aircraft displayed at a time!) the difference was just 1 fps.

Pfew, I have to study what exactly causes this particular lagging...it is getting more and more difficult to identify the culprit. I know a lot of other X-plane users complaining about this, but they are using X-pilot. It could also be the weather engine....Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep on reading forums about this.

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

Pfew, In that case... I have to study what exactly causes this particular lagging...it is getting more and more difficult to identify the culprit. I know a lot of other X-plane users complaining about this, but they are using X-pilot. It could also be the weather engine....Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep on reading forums about this.

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

Me too

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ok, then it is not swift, or at least it should not be it.

Can you test your FPS while online and when you have all traffic deactivated? You can do this in swiftGUI by logging in to VATSIM and the disabling all planes. In swiftGUI go to "Models", then click on ANY plane with your right mouse button, select "Display and render models" ==> "Disable all aircraft".

Sander Cedee
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this tomorrow thoroughly around EHAM. I'll reply with the results/outcome.

Goodnight.

david muir 1024156
Posted
Posted

Hi

I'm having real problems trying to get swift going to connect to vatsim ,can anyone help

Thanks

Dave