You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC Issue - Multiple Windows

Evan Reiter

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Since re-locating my computer a few weeks ago, I've been having an odd issue with VRC I haven't been able to figure out. I know it's not a VRC coding issue because the program has been around forever and worked just fine on my computer previously.

My attempted setup is one VRC window on the left monitor and then a second, smaller radar window on the right monitor. When I just have the one window, everything is normal. However, when I open up a second window -- and put it anywhere -- that window (and only that window) becomes super lagy. By lagy, I mean that if you try to zoom in, re-size the window, or do anything on that window, the program freezes for 5 seconds before doing anything. The original window still zooms and pans fine.

I've tried updating graphics drivers, compatibility settings for previous versions of Windows, run as administrator, etc. I've also tried re-creating the session profile from scratch and deleting VRC.ini, but the same results each time. I run vERAM and vATIS, as well as several other non-VATSIM programs, in multiple monitor mode without issue.

Any ideas?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

• 1 month later...
Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted
Since re-locating my computer a few weeks ago, I've been having an odd issue with VRC I haven't been able to figure out. I know it's not a VRC coding issue because the program has been around forever and worked just fine on my computer previously.

My attempted setup is one VRC window on the left monitor and then a second, smaller radar window on the right monitor. When I just have the one window, everything is normal. However, when I open up a second window -- and put it anywhere -- that window (and only that window) becomes super lagy. By lagy, I mean that if you try to zoom in, re-size the window, or do anything on that window, the program freezes for 5 seconds before doing anything. The original window still zooms and pans fine.

I've tried updating graphics drivers, compatibility settings for previous versions of Windows, run as administrator, etc. I've also tried re-creating the session profile from scratch and deleting VRC.ini, but the same results each time. I run vERAM and vATIS, as well as several other non-VATSIM programs, in multiple monitor mode without issue.

Any ideas?

Yes, happened to me when I returned to controlling after an 11 year hiatus.

I tried a lot of things. Ruled out most of them, until I found that for some reason VRC was launching always using my integrated video card (on a laptop) regardless of the discrete one being working. Strange. The strangest thing is that I do a lot of stuff on this old laptop and even graphics software perform better with the onboard video card if for some reason I need to disable the other one.

Long story short, find the VRC executable and (Al least on Windows 10), right click, choose "run with graphics processor" and pick your discrete video adapter. Problem solved at least for me

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Thanks Javier! I actually found a solution, but I hope yours might help someone else.

In my case, the fix sounds quite similar to yours. I had to ensure the "Make this my main display" option in "Display Settings" must be to a monitor that's plugged into the graphics card, not the onboard/motherboard output. I found out it doesn't matter which screen VRC is on or which monitors are plugged in. And the issue persists even if I only use one display plugged into the onboard graphics.

As long as the "main display" is a graphics card display and not onboard video, it works. (Obviously, it also works fine if I only use the graphics card monitors.)

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager